Question: CERVICAL SPINE STENOSIS, MS OR MIGRAINE?

Sonaya - Fri Jan 04, 2008 7:03 pm

Hi I am a 38yr old female who is having multiple symptoms since the 6th of Sept 2007. Previous medical history first. Not diabetic, gallbladder out. Do not suffer indigestion or heartburn. No high blood pressure. Only medication ever taken is Zocor for high cholesterol. Have history of heart disease both sides of family with Heart attacks at very young ages.

Presented to local emergency dept on the 6th Sept with "Stroke like symptoms". Worst headache of my life and I have never suffered from headaches or migraines in my life to date prior to. Neurological symptoms followed the headache which subsided on its own after 10-15min. IT came on suddenly like the flick of a switch. Blurred vision, dizzyness, unstable on feet, speech problems, inability to think straight and numbness down left side of face. MRi without contrast, CT scan, and lumbar puncture and a whole lot of tests were all normal. The released me after 3 days with acute ear vestibulitis with no followup.
Stroke, meningitis, subarachnoid hemorage all the serious stuff ruled out. Thankfully however after the lumbar puncture I suffered ongoing headaches and head pressure , pressure in eyes and ears, stiff neck all this i put down to the lumbar and thought it would just take time to go away. 4wks after I suffered another "attack" Felt incredible pressure in my head, neck eyes, ears, went vague couldnt get my words out etc but came good after 45min. A week after this I was walking in shopping centre, same thing happened again only I really lost my balance this time, felt sudden weakness in legs like they were going to give way. Went to hospital was tested for shingles, all clear then sent home, no followup no answers. Went to my own doctor had sinus studies and doppler studies of the carotid arteries all clear. Went to eye opthomolgoist to check eyes out, all clear.
14th Nov 2007 started to notice sensations in left side of leg, tingling, pins, needles and radiating heat type pain. Lasting all night. Muscle aches and pains just on left side of my body. On days when my headpressure is bad I might get clear liquid coming from my nose but no other sinus type symptoms. I might get facial spasms left sided, left arm, shoulder blad and chest pain and radiating heat with tinging and burning sensations. All these symptoms are left sided.
In the last 2 weeks Ive had chest pain left sided, profuse sweating, and the radiating heat is getting worse, going down my spine, straight down the middle, stiff neck at the base of neck & spine. I am getting a stress test this Monday to rule out heart- angina type pain as I have taken nitro spray under the tongue which has helped the pain. However I went and saw a general physician yesterday who doesnt think its my heart but possibly to do with the cervical spine and he wants me to have another MRI of the spine this time and will possibly follow up with a neurologist after this. He said he wanted to relook at the original MRI images but d oubts it MS because it would have showed up already and the frequency of my attacks are too close together. He said I could have complicated migraines but also wanted to rule out cervical spine stenosis. The thing is I never had spinal, backache, neck ache pain problems until AFTER the lumbar puncture and I am concerned these additional symptoms might be due to nerve damage from the lumbar puncture. I am really getting desperate to find out what is happening to me as I have had to stop work as its getting quite dabilitating for me now. Thank you in advance any thoughts or advice would be most helpful.
Sonaya
 Sonaya - Sun Feb 03, 2008 10:31 am

Just to update since had MRI of spine, showed very mild spondyliosis (arthritis) but nothing to worry about. NO stenosis or lesions found. Lupus, thyroid ruled out.
NOw having a type of "seizure" with a lot more muscle twitching. Doctors have mentioned Familial Hemiplegic MIgraine and now being tested for epilepsy although I don't have all signs of epilepsy I am getting some similar triggers like tv and bright lights, but not every single time. Muscle twitching is getting worse, with some involuntary jerking. Profuse sweating still but chest pain has gone for two weeks now. Stress test has ruled out angina.
I don't think I have epilepsy, but I don't think I have just a migraine either please can yhou help with what tests I should have done next. My Dr is booking in an EEG just a standard.

|