Question: Can MS alone cause poor circulation?

Sheba - Sun Jan 06, 2008 3:58 pm

I've had multiple sclerosis for 34 years. I'm 56 years old, 5"3" tall, and weigh 95 pounds. I am not diabetic nor confined to a wheelchair. I eat right and work out on an exercise bike for 30-40 minutes 4 times a week. I'm always up and around - a fairly active woman.
A neurologist told me a few months ago that I had poor circulation in my foot due to advanced MS. I can find no mention of this being a symptom of MS anywhere. I currently have an infection in a toe on that foot. A podiatrist examined it and confirmed that I have very bad circulation in it.
Please tell me if poor circulation is truly caused by MS and, if so, exactly how MS causes it.
Thank you very much,
Sheba
 Debbie Miller, RN - Sun Mar 30, 2008 11:46 pm

I think you will have to quiz the doctor on this one. I have not been able to find much that would support this idea, but I can understand where there could be a connection since the nervous system is impaired in MS and nerves are involved the other systems of the body. I just can't second guess the doctor on this one.

I found one statement that supported this but was unable to pull up the original source to check validity of the information.

I'm glad to hear you are doing so well taking care of yourself.

|