News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Neurology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Neurology Answers List

Forum Name: Neurology Topics

Question: sea sickness, ear distortions

moses - Sun Jan 06, 2008 6:48 pm

Here is the background: 2 years ago I woke up and felt a little "sea" sick, I thought I was just coming down with something. Later that day while driving with my son, I kept hearing a "whooshing" sound when I turned my head. I kept asking my son if he could hear that and he said no. Eventually I realized it was in my head, not a sound I was hearing, but a distortion of sound when I moved my head. Before this incident I was working a lot with my arms for about 4 weeks straight, physical labor, hammering, lifting, over my head lifting and hammering, my arms and hands would get swollen at night and ache really bad.

A couple of months went by before the "sea" sickness and ear distortions appeared again, this time only lasting a day like before ( again it was after physical labor with my arms and I woke up with the sensation ).

Long story short, this bizarre "sea" sick feeling and ear "whooshing" sound has gotten more frequent, basically every time I use my arms, vacuuming; emptying the grass bags from the lawn mower, washing windows, basically anything using my arms sets it off. The symptoms never come on during or right after the activity, but rather they are there when I wake up the next day. The worst I've had it is when it lasted a week, I felt sick to my stomach, dizzy, ear whooshing, sensitive to light, shoulder pain, swollen hands, a thick feeling down the back and both sides of my neck, and a soreness / tenderness to the left of my right shoulder blade.

I've several doctors, had EMG, MRI, chiropractor, with no avail. I believe some sort of nerve compression is occurring, the activity causes swelling that compresses some nerve(s) that go through my arm/shoulder/up my neck and maybe by my ear.

I had carpel tunnel surgery a year ago, that was done because my hands kept going numb.

Any ideas what might be causing this would be greatly appreciated, I'm at my wits end, my doctors have given up, and this is really affecting my life, Please, any ideas I could follow up on or have something looked into.
 John Kenyon, CNA - Sun Aug 10, 2008 9:06 pm

User avatar Hello -

Given the detailed history including what's been done diagnostically, my best guess would be that the extended use of upper body (especially arm and neck) musculature caused some sort of pressure inury, perhaps to the baroreceptors in your neck (directly below the ears). While this sometimes would cause lightheadedness or faintiing, it also could account for vertigo (or the faintness is mixed up with vertigo). The work also could have increased pressure on or in the inner ear near the same location. At any rate, there are some other tests which could (and should have been) performed to see if you can be provoked into vertigo (electronystagmogram or ENG), as well as an exam of the vasculature and muscles of the neck -- and not just an EMG. A cardiologist may even become inolved if the vertigo angle doesn't pan out (which it probably would) to see if your "seasickness" sensations are actually vertigo combined with lightheadedness caused by damage to one or both baroreceptors (nerves which control blood pressure). Problems with this apparatus often cause the "whooshing" sound or a pulsing of ambient noise inside the head.

This is my best guess, which is the only thing we can do at a distance. Hopefully you'll be followed up with these tests and something will get clarified. If so, please do let us know. Good luck to you.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here