News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Neurology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Neurology Answers List

Forum Name: Neurology Topics

Question: Tingling in hands and arms.

angusglover - Mon Jan 07, 2008 4:19 am

Hi

I hope someone can give me a clue as to the following symptoms.

I have wierd feelings in my left hand, almost like tiny bubbles popping under the skin, I get this in my arm also. I get fasiculations in my arm and sometimes my leg.
I have noticed that I feel colder than everyone around me and sometimes wake up in the night really cold.
I had an RTA in 2000 and as a result have some musculo skeleto scoliosis (excuse the spelling). I have some neck pain. The pain travels to the base of my skull and shoulder blades.
As I am typing this, my hands feel really really cold. Sometimes when Iput gloves on, I get a feeling similar to when you come in from the cold and put your hands near a heater....

I do not seem to have any strength loss in my hands etc at the mo, but I am really concerned about ALS...can anyone help?
 John Kenyon, CNA - Sun Aug 10, 2008 8:05 pm

User avatar Hello -

Clues are about the best we can do here, and you have provided some of your own, so that what you describe could be possibly due to a number of non-ALS problems which are a lot less serious (weakness of at least one muscle group is almost always seen early in ALS).

Your symptoms could be related to the RTA and subsequent scoloiosis. The neck pain is likely related to that. It also could be related to the tingling sensations, but so could some other things which would cover more of the ground involved. For instance, you could have an underactive thyroid, which often causes the symptoms you describe (except, of course, for the neck pain). If you haven't had a thyroid panel drawn that should be done. Also, it is possible you have Raynaud's syndrome, an autoimmune disease which causes intermitten, reactive constriction of blood vessels in the extremities, with consequent coldness in those areas. However, since you seem to be cold all over, thyroid disease would be a more likely suspect (also, Raynaud's will cause blanching of the extremities at times, looking almost like frostbite, which often has preceded development of the problem).

The symptoms could be neurological, especially given the neck, head and shoulder pain , but I strongly feel thyroid issues should be ruled out first. ALS would be way down on the list of possible causes and I think you can safely let that one go.

I hope you'll follow up with us here and let us know how things work out for you.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here