Forum Name: Headaches

Question: persistent headache

angel242 - Thu Jan 10, 2008 6:36 am

I had a car accident about a year ago after which I started having neck and back pains. I was given pain killers and was told as a result of a neck MRI that there was a straightening of my spine in the neck area. 6 months ago I had another car accident and the pain has gotten worse. I wore a neck brace for a while, this helped a little. But the real problem is my migraine. I didnt used to have them till about 7 months ago. I get an attack at least twice a month, lasts for 4-5 days and I sometimes end up hospitilized. My neck stiffens a lot during the attacks and I get a fever everytime I have pain. Lately I ended up forgetting a lot. I couldnt recognise my fiance the other day - it was only for a second but it was enough to scare me. I see lights every now and then and I am not sure if this is because of the severity of the pain or not. I have been to a neurologist and she told me the pain was due to my neck injury. But it is not getting any better and I am tired of using pain killers. I am tired and sleepy all the time no matter how much I sleep and I get dizzy very frequently. What could this possibly be?
 Debbie Miller, RN - Sun Mar 30, 2008 11:30 pm

Your doctor is probably right that it is the result of your injury. You may want to try some alternative pain therapy such as acupuncture if nothing else is helping. If the headaches are migraines, as you said, you may benefit from medications specifically for that. Did your doctor prescribe something for that, as opposed to narcotic pain relievers?

Headaches can be one of the most frustrating problems for people because they sometimes come and go for years without a clear cause or effective treatment. It is believed there may be a hormonal connection since women get migraines much more frequently than men. But, there is nothing that is a sure cure.

You may also benefit from chiropractic care since this may be spine-related. I would at least explore that avenue if I were you.

|