News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Neurology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Neurology Answers List

Forum Name: Neurology Topics

Question: electric shock coupled with jerk

elemental - Mon Jan 21, 2008 9:47 pm

I've been urged to seek medical attention by someone who has had neurological problems in the past. I'm trying to make sure I follow the correct path.
I'm 32, overweight, n/s. I have TMJ, and neck problems but other than that, healthy.
Over the past 6 months I've noticed an increase in the sudden jerks while falling asleep. In addition, this is what really has been bothering me, I'll be sitting at work, watching tv, in front of the computer and it will suddenly feel as though I have been poked with a pin or an electric shock (pinpoint) on one of my feet or hands and I will jerk suddenly. It had happened occasionally throughout my life, now it's become an event that happens daily to muliple times a week.
Is this hypynic? myoclonic? or is this just normal? Who should I see regarding this? If it is a problem.
Thank you for your time.
 John Kenyon, CNA - Fri Aug 08, 2008 11:53 pm

User avatar Hello -

Of the two things you mention, one (the jerking while falling asleep) is very normal and very common. Most people experience it at one time or another, some on a regular basis. It is similar to seizure activity, but is neurological discharge that is normal making the shift into sleep.

The other thing, the pinprick or electric shock sensation with jerking, is also fairly common, and usually not significant. It can sometimes be related to posture or remaining in one position for a long time, especially at a computer terminal. If it becomes overly frequent or overly painful and disruptive it's possible it could indicate polyneuritis, an inflammation of multiple nerves. Usually this is virally mediated and will pass on its own, but what you describe sounds more like normal nervous discharge with an exaggerated startle response. This latter is usually seen in infants and small children, but some people take a lot longer to lose it. It is basically a variation of normal. Again, if it becomes disruptive it could be due to some central problem and then might require medical evaluation and possible treatment.

I hope this is helpful to you.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here