Question: Jumped up quick out of chair...dizziness...brief faint

ltjpost - Thu Feb 14, 2008 12:03 am

Hi. My 20 y/o healthy son had one episode 3 months ago where he jumped up quickly after sitting for a while in a chair. He announced he was dizzy (as I sometimes have the same thing when getting up quickly), but then proceeded to faint so briefly that he pretty much regained consciousness as he hit the floor. At first I just thought he lost his balance and fell backward but he says he didn't remember falling down and his sister said she saw him "drop" the tv remote right before he buckled. He color was great right before and immediately afterward with no other complaints or symptoms. He couldn't believe he passed out for that split second and his first reaction was to laugh as soon as he hit the ground. Should I be worried with this one incident? I realize if it repeats he'll need a workup. He was previously cleared of all heart anomalies during his teens after discovery of a benign murmer and subsequent echocardiograms showed a perfectly normal functioning heart with an incidental right bundle branch block. His follow up EKG two years later showed no evidence of the RBBB, and he was deemed to have a healthy normal heart. Also, he has has a slight hand tremor (upon tasking) since the age of 8 0r 9. His pediatrician at the time reassured us that he just has unsteady hands as some people do. He still has it and it's primarily noticeable when he is reaching for something or tasking. Not at rest. Is it wise to continue to dismiss this as benign since he's had it all these years? Thanks for your help!
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Wed Feb 20, 2008 1:09 am

User avatar Hello Ltjpost,

It sounds like your son had a simple case of low blood pressure due to rapidly standing up. This is actually quite common and most people will occasionally feel some slight dizziness. This happens because the quick standing causes the blood to drop to the legs until the blod vessels tighten up and restore proper blood pressures and flow. When this happens not enough blood gets to the brain and dizziness occurs. If this happens long enough or if it is a more significant episode the person may pass out. However, even if the person passes out the blood pressures will return to normal and consciousness will be restored.

The actual passing out is not particularly dangerous unless the person gets hurt when falling. If the episodes are frequent, there are some medicines that can help dramatically improve this. It also helps to be sure he stays very well hydrated so the vessels are full. Dehydration will make this worse since there is less fluid in the vessels making small shifts more significant.

ltjpost - Wed Feb 20, 2008 11:36 am

Thank you. What about the second question of the shaky hands?

|