Forum Name: Headaches

Question: Sever headaches and blackouts

1proudmommy28269 - Fri Feb 15, 2008 11:53 am

I've be having headaches that normally happen whenever I bend over or lay on on stomach and lift my head up.They are located at the base of my skull and become very painful.Once the headaches start if i try to stand up less then 20minutes after they start everything in front of me go black and i have to sit back down or i will pass out.I do not have insurance and I'm scared to go to the er and have a huge bill if this isnt anything to be worried about.could you please help me?
 Debbie Miller, RN - Sat Apr 05, 2008 9:35 am

To have a rare occurrence of fainting or blacking out is quite normal and usually does not require follow-up. If it happens frequently or you are "out" more than a few seconds, it should be checked out with a doctor.

It is true that testing can run up huge bills but if you let the doctor know your situation, I'm sure they can do only the truly necessary testing to be sure you are not in danger from something serious - even if you don't actually have an answer for why it occurs. Many times we still don't know even after extensive testing because some disorders can be quite evasive to diagnosis and we have to just wait and watch, realizing that some things really are just part of a person's makeup. But, until we rule out possible problems we can't be confident about it.

Check your community - perhaps call a local hospital or health department to find out if they have any low cost clinics with sliding fee scales. Or, when making an appointment ask if they offer discounts on visits for cash-paying, non-insured patients.

Also, keep in mind that if you had insurance you would have been paying monthly copays. Sometimes one visit to the doctor is still less cost than you would have paid in the previous year had you had coverage with copays and/or deductibles besides the premiums. And, start a health savings account with a little money put aside for such things as this in the future. If you don't start now you will always be in this dilemma, but putting aside a little while you are well can add up quickly to cover such things as the occasional office visit.

I understand how frustrating this is and insurance certainly is important, especially when serious illness is involved, but it is still not free so you have to keep these things in perspective.

|