News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Neurology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Neurology Answers List

Forum Name: Neurology Topics

Question: My head is off balance

vickieg - Fri Feb 15, 2008 2:59 pm

Hi, I feel my head is off balance due to my neck. I had severe neck misalignment 10 years ago.While I was going through my neck troubles, I always felt like it was doing something to my head. I would be walking in the mall, I felt like I was out of my body watching myself walk. I was real foggy. Today Im not foggy ,but I have experienced the outer body thing twice since then. I feel very unbalance now. When Im driving, Playing cards on the internet, riding my excersise bike in front of the tv. Any movement really bothers my head. I saw on the internet where overstretched alar muscles or torn vertebral ligamental structures can cause these symptoms. My question is do I need to see a neurologist or a phychiatrist? Thanks a million. This really bothers me,I don't feel like myself anymore. One more thing, I go through 5 or 6 pillows a night, It depends on how my night went ,if I have a good night my head is pretty good,if not my head feels terrible not to mention headaches between my eyes. Thanks,Unbalanced Head
 John Kenyon, CNA - Wed Aug 06, 2008 10:07 pm

User avatar Hello -

Two things come to mind based on your symptoms and history: one is vertigo, probably cervical vertigo (as opposed to vertigo caused by inner ear problems, although that wouldn't be out of the question); the second (possibly in combination with vertigo) is possible depersonalization, a peculiar phenomenon where one feels "outside" one's self and almost, as you describe, as though watching one's self. Usually the affected person is concerned about uncertainty as to what he or she might say during these episodes. There is a sense of unreality (it is also sometimes called derealization). Sometimes both depersonalization and vertigo happen at the same time for reasons that are not at all clear. Both are benign, but one (the equilibrium problem) can be momentarily disabling, and the other, the depersonalization, can be extremely disturbing (although some people seem to tolerate it quite well). My guess is that both are related to the neck problems. Seeing an orthopedist would probably be your logical next step, to see if there is some residual or recurrent misalignment.

Good luck to you.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here