News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Neurology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Neurology Answers List

Forum Name: Neurology Topics

Question: Tingling in left hand.

mrproducer - Sat Feb 16, 2008 1:03 pm

A couple weeks ago I moved and therefore had to lift heavy furniture and boxes. The next day my left hand was hurting....I figured it was because of the rigid activity the previous day. The pain goes away after a few days and tingling starts settling in. At first all of my fingers were tingling now it's the 2 fingers close to my thumb. There isn't any pain but tingling and it seems to be worse when I wake up in the morning. Family suggests it's the early stages of carpal tunnel. I don't know. I am diabetic as well. Any suggestions?

Thanks.
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Thu Feb 21, 2008 10:35 pm

User avatar Hello Mrproducer,

This certainly could be consistent with carpal tunnel syndrome. Typically, carpal tunnel syndrome will cause pain/tingling in the thumb, index and middle finger as well as the thumb side of the ring finger.

If the tingling is only involving the 2 fingers it may be that you have some swelling from the moving that is pressing on the branches of the median nerve branches that supply those specific fingers rather than being higher up in the wrist affecting the entire nerve distribution.

It may also be that during moving you compressed these nerves causing some of your symptoms.

If these sensations are not getting better, or are getting worse I would recommend that you see your doctor for an evaluation.

Best wishes.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here