News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Neurology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Neurology Answers List

Forum Name: Neurology Topics

Question: Constant Hand Pian

lady814 - Tue Feb 19, 2008 12:01 pm

I've been having pain in my left hand and up my arm for about 2 weeks now. I thought maybe I had pulled a muscle in my hand b/c it started hurting when I was getting my child off the bed. He held on to my fingers and I think they twisted a little. I'm 31 and in good health. I don't spend a lot of time typing on the computer, so I figure it's not carpul tunnel? syndrome. It's hard to do anything with my left hand. The smallest daily activities cause it to hurt worse. It's very frustrating.
 Debbie Miller, RN - Wed Feb 20, 2008 6:33 pm

User avatar Hello,
Hand and wrist pain are probably the most frequent musculoskeletal disorders reported. It can be due to a number of causes in addition to carpal tunnel such as arthritis, tendinitis, strain, sprain or other disease process. Carpal tunnel is not only related to computer work but other repetitive hand action can also trigger it. The hand and wrist are so complex it can be difficult to find the exact cause.

Some people get relief from a course of nonsteroidal antiinflammatory medications such as ibuprofen or naproxen. Physical therapy can also be helpful and may use heat and or ice - even alternating. It can take a while to resolve, but if it doesn't get well in a few weeks or gets worse, you should see a doctor for an accurate diagnosis.

Best wishes.
 breakfree - Wed Feb 20, 2008 9:41 pm

Sounds like it could be 'tennis elbow'....it is extremely painful and sometimes comes on quite suddenly.
Just a question for you--Why did you post this in the Neurology Forum?

Just curious.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here