Question: Constant Hand Pian

lady814 - Tue Feb 19, 2008 12:01 pm

I've been having pain in my left hand and up my arm for about 2 weeks now. I thought maybe I had pulled a muscle in my hand b/c it started hurting when I was getting my child off the bed. He held on to my fingers and I think they twisted a little. I'm 31 and in good health. I don't spend a lot of time typing on the computer, so I figure it's not carpul tunnel? syndrome. It's hard to do anything with my left hand. The smallest daily activities cause it to hurt worse. It's very frustrating.
 Debbie Miller, RN - Wed Feb 20, 2008 6:33 pm

Hand and wrist pain are probably the most frequent musculoskeletal disorders reported. It can be due to a number of causes in addition to carpal tunnel such as arthritis, tendinitis, strain, sprain or other disease process. Carpal tunnel is not only related to computer work but other repetitive hand action can also trigger it. The hand and wrist are so complex it can be difficult to find the exact cause.

Some people get relief from a course of nonsteroidal antiinflammatory medications such as ibuprofen or naproxen. Physical therapy can also be helpful and may use heat and or ice - even alternating. It can take a while to resolve, but if it doesn't get well in a few weeks or gets worse, you should see a doctor for an accurate diagnosis.

breakfree - Wed Feb 20, 2008 9:41 pm

Sounds like it could be 'tennis elbow'....it is extremely painful and sometimes comes on quite suddenly.
Just a question for you--Why did you post this in the Neurology Forum?

Just curious.

|