Question: Brain Tumor.....I'm in Shock

breakfree - Wed Feb 20, 2008 9:38 pm

I posted a rather detailed question on Feb 13th, but for some reason it didn't show up. I was asking for ideas with my condition. While I waited for an answer, I was told that I have a brain tumor, and am totally terrified. I guess I am no longer looking for an answer for a possible diagnosis, but perhaps some encouraging words for what I'm about to endure.

Thanks for listening.
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Thu Feb 21, 2008 10:10 pm

User avatar Hello Breakfree,

Your first post did not come through, unfortunately. Regarding your diagnosis of a brain tumor, I would first say that not all brain tumors have a bad outcome. Unfortunately, some are very difficult to treat but others do have a very good outcome.

The first step will be to determine what type of tumor it is. Then, when the specific type is known the treatment can be determined. Depending on the location of the tumor, treatment options can include surgical removal, radiation therapy and chemotherapy.

The key is to try to remember that patients can and do get better from brain tumors. Try to stay positive and be sure you have a lot of social support to help you through the bad days.

Dr. Tamer Fouad - Fri Feb 22, 2008 4:35 pm

User avatar Hello Breakfree,

On behalf of everyone else here, I hope you get well soon!

I totally agree with Dr. Chan's assessment. They type as well as the location of the tumor within the brain are the most important determinants of prognosis.

I know the mere prospect of having a brain tumor is shocking, but many women get meningiomas which are benign in more than 94% of cases. These can be almost harmless and these are by far the most common.

Stay positive and hang in there.

Please post updates to this thread. Also, if you can write down the details of CT scan report. It may shed more light on your situation.

|