Forum Name: Headaches

Question: Headache (back of head) and Neck Pain for 2 weeks

jtrowe - Sat Feb 23, 2008 3:15 am

22 year old college student male.

I have had this weird kinda chronic neck pain and headache in the back of my head. On a scale from 1-10 the pain is about a 1-2, but it always seems to be there. I have no trouble sleeping, and when I wake up, the pain is gone, but fades in as the day goes on. The headache stays in the back of the head, but sometimes will move to the top for short periods. I saw the Nurse practicioner that the school provides, she said I most likely strained my neck, she said to lay off the heavy backpacks, take some ibuprofin for 3 days (600mg 3x a day) and use a neck heating pack. I did all of these, and by the end of the three days, I was feeling much better. I was fine for about a week, and now the pain seems to be coming back again. It is a very annoying, and makes it hard to concentrate and be active. Is there anything this could be outside of just some neck stress and stress related cause (busy college student)? I started using the heat pack again, and I am going to take the ibuprofin again, Any ideas on what this could be? Or is it just some neck pain? If so, who should I visit? A chiropractor? Neurologist?

Thanks in advance for your advice.
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Sat Feb 23, 2008 10:36 pm

User avatar Hello Jtrowe,

The description of your pain is very consistent with neck tension as the nurse practitioner suspected. This can be triggered by wearing heavy back packs, etc.; however, it may also be caused by problems with posture, etc.

You may want to try some neck relaxation techniques such as massage to help relieve this pain. Using the heat pack, etc. is also an appropriate treatment. Take a look at your posture and make sure it is straight. Also, it would be good to look at your work area (desk, chair, etc.) to see if these are causing you to be in a position that is causing some increased neck pressure.

jtrowe - Mon Feb 25, 2008 5:06 pm

The pain is located right in the back of my head, near the base of the skull, top of the spine. Is this the normal place for headaches associated with neck pain. I am doing all that I can to fix this right now, resting up a bit, taking ibuprofin, and using the heat pack liberally. Hopefully it will clear up again.

|