Question: Cold feet and Headache

tee2me - Sun Feb 24, 2008 2:35 pm

When my legs and feet get cold it makes me have an headache right in the forehead and it last until I get warm . Also it takes a long while for my feet to get warm when they do get cold. My legs are weak also until my feet get warm. What do you think this is?
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Fri Feb 29, 2008 1:45 pm

User avatar Hi Tee2me,

There are a few possibilities. The normal blood vessel response to cold temperatures is to constrict to decrease blood flow to the outer skin some. This helps reduce bodily heat loss. It may be that you have an exaggerated response to this causing some constriction of other blood vessels that is compromising blood flow and causing pain.

There are some rheumatologic problems that can be associated with pain due to cold. In particular, Reynaud's phenomenon causes pain, although the pain is typically in the fingers/toes.

Very rarely there can be some clotting problems that appear with cold exposure but it would be unlikely to simply resolve when warmer without other symptoms.

I would recommend you see your doctor to have this further evaluated. Seeing a rheumatologist may be helpful.

|