News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Neurology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Neurology Answers List

Forum Name: Headaches

Question: Episodes with uncontrollable vision, nausea, dizziness, etc.

Undine-XV - Sun Feb 24, 2008 10:20 pm

Hello,

I am a 17 year old male. For a while now, I've been having episodes where, out of nowhere, my vision will tip on it's side and then attempt to right itself. It's hard to describe- picture a plank of the wood floating in the ocean. A wave goes underneath the wood, and it rocks- my vision does the same thing, only much much quicker, and repeatedly. If I attempt to stand, I feel sick to my stomach- I can only stand for a few moments before I fall to the ground. My head is also in pain during these episodes. My vision rights itself after a few minutes, but for about an hour afterward, if I stand my vision swoons and I feel sick again. I must remain laying down. These episodes happen once every month or so, and I may be doing anything at the time. As well as this, I've been experiencing fake memories- or perhaps they aren't, and someone else has just forgotten, but if the events really never did happen, I thought it would be relevant to add. Also, which may also be completely unrelated, I've been experiencing headaches more frequently- once about every two to three days. Do you believe these symptoms could be connected? And, more importantly, do you believe the first symptom may be something serious? I would ask a family member to take me to see a local doctor, but they try to brush everything off as either a cold or growing pains. Anyway... any assistance that you could give would be immensely appreciated, and you'd have my gratitude. Thank you very much for your time.
 John Kenyon, CNA - Mon Aug 04, 2008 9:20 pm

User avatar Hello -

At first I was really perplexed by your symptoms (and if I'm wrong, then I'm still perplexed) but then I realized you could be describing violent vertigo. The description is the way most people would put it, but the bottom line is the same, and amounts to feeling like being on a rocking boat or that the room is spinning or has flipped on its side. I could be wrong, but this would be the first suspicion. There is a very simple neurological test ("follow my finger") which a doctor or nurse can do to check for nystagmus (abnormal eye movement associated with these episodes) and which can actually trigger the phenomenon in some people. A provocative test (if you decide to try this, don't do it alone) is to lie with your head hanging off the end of a bed, then turn your head one way and then the other. If it is benign positional vertigo (or Menier's disease, which causes the same symptom, but often with more nausea as you've described) you may not make it past hanging your head over the end of the bed, and definitely moving the head once to the side should set it off. If this is the case, it is BPV or Menier's both of which involved a problem with the inner ear and eyes' balance interaction. There are simple medications which can usually control the symptoms effectively.

If I'm totally wrong in my connecting of the dots, please let me know. Otherwise, follow up with us here and let us know if there's anything new or if you've found you do, in fact, have BPV.

At any rate, this is not something that ought to be blown off -- by you or by a doctor, and I strongly suggest seeing one, even if you decide to test yourself for BPV and find it brings on the symptoms. The headaches could indicate an inner ear infection or other problem inside the head that could be more serious than simple vertigo.

Best of luck to you.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here