News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Neurology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Neurology Answers List

Forum Name: Neurology Topics

Question: Scalp Surgery Post-Op

jf591867 - Sun Feb 24, 2008 10:33 pm

Hello!
I had surgery to remove an elnarged lymph node on the lower left side of my head almost three weeks ago...possibly the cause of 6 month long headaches. I think it was irritating a nerve (greater occipital)
I've had some relief...less pressure and what not, although the headaches still remain to a point. However, after the surgery on the LOWER left side of my head...the UPPER left side was numb (the back and top of my head). It started to wear off about a week after surgery...but the top is still pretty numb and sore to the touch. It also aches most of the day. The lower part is healing nicely, but is still store three weeks later. Is this numbmess/soreness normal, even though it really wasn't near my surgery site? Is it part of the healing process? My surgeon said it wasn't normal, but she also isn't a neurologist. How long will this take to heal? Also should I be massaging the surgery site to get rid of scar tissue, despite that it's still sore? Thanks for your time :) -Jen
 Theresa Jones, RN - Sun Jun 22, 2008 9:24 pm

User avatar Hi Jen,
Generally speaking it takes approximately 4-6 weeks for "soreness" after a surgical procedure to resolve (with the exception of cardiac surgery which typically takes even longer). I hope your recovery was unevenful and you are doing well now. Best wishes.
Sincerely,
Theresa Jones, RN

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here