News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Neurology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Neurology Answers List

Forum Name: Headaches

Question: Persistent headache worse with orgasm, swollen eye

chesiremelly - Mon Feb 25, 2008 6:38 pm

27 single white female,

For the past three weeks I've had a persistent headache that doesn't respond well to any OTC treatment. It ranges from a dull ache to a pounding behind my eyes. The onset of the headache three weeks ago was the most painful, debilating headache I've had. The headache is nearly manageable except for at the onset of orgasm, when it becomes pounding and extreme. This happens every single time I orgasm, so you can imagine it puts a damper on my life. I've done some research and read that sometimes sex headaches are associated with exertion, but the headache occurs with masturbation as well, not just vigorous sexual activity.

I've also had, upon waking in the morning, a red, swollen eyelid that becomes crusted and wrinkly as the day progresses. The eyelid condition has come and gone over the past three weeks. In addition to these factors, I am experiencing bleeding gums in spite of the fact that I have excellent oral hygiene - Sonicare toothbrush and floss every day...the bleeding is so bad that sometimes just touching the gums causes them to bleed.

Could these be associated or a sign of something serious? I don't have health insurance or the money to visit the ER; my area doesn't offer free clinics. Any help greatly appreciated.
 Debbie Miller, RN - Thu Apr 03, 2008 5:09 pm

User avatar Hello,
There are many causes of headaches - the most common are stress related, allergy or sinus problems, migraines and even high blood pressure. Sex headaches, as with orgasm, are also fairly common. Some people experience them in clusters - where they occur for a few times, then it may be weeks or months before another cluster occurs. Sometimes it is related to tightening of muscles which can occur with sexual activity. An increase of blood pressure can cause the cerebral blood vessels to dilate, resulting in acute headache. Low blood pressure, anemia, sinus infections, birth control pills have also been associated with sexual headaches. If the headache is most pronounced with orgasm itself, you might try stopping activity before orgasm. This would provide more information on the situation.

This is not usually anything serious but it's always good to consult with a doctor to be sure. Worrying will probably make it worse so peace of mind can be worth a lot.

The eye problem sounds like it could be pinkeye or allergy-related. You may need antibiotic drops in case it is a bacterial infection. Some people get relief with eye drops for allergies.

Best wishes.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here