Question: Entire left side problems

ShakinThingzUp - Wed Feb 27, 2008 8:32 am

34, Female
Past Diagnosis: Asthma, Allergies, Spina-Bifida-Occulta and Bulging disc L5, Migraine/Tension Headaches
Past Surgeries: Tonsilectomy 1985, Lapriscopy 2002 (Adhesions of unknown origin)
Current Meds: Advair 250/50, Singulair, Zyrtec

I posted previously about a spinal epidural shot & blood patch procedure & having problems ever since down my left leg. Dr. Lowe answered my question satisfactorily & based on that I was not planning to pursue a new MRI.

However, newer problems have begun surfacing that confuse me. I'm not sure if all this is related, or if I should be posting this on a forum about the spine/back. Here goes:

I went to the doctor for "carpal tunnel" type problems primarily in my left arm - had them a long time, but recently it had gotten really bad - so I went, seeking advice on care. They sent me for an EMG. I get the results next week. The physician administering the EMG asked a lot of questions about my neck and shoulder, and told it MAY not be carpal tunnel.... Since that EMG, which caused pain in my arm all evening.... the pain has gone into my neck and won't go away.

So, what I'm wondering is this....... the entire LEFT side of my body hurts... left side of my back, down into my hip, buttocks & leg all the way to my feet - sharp pains with numbness. Also the left side of my neck hurts, down through my shoulder, arm and into my wrist and hand with some numbness in that arm/hand as well. I have occasional pain in my right side (same areas on that side) but it is only occasional. My left side hurts ALL the time.

Could all this be related to one central problem or is this most likely separate problems causing my whole left side to act up????? I'm thoroughly confused... and a bit worried.

Thank you,
Amy
 Dr. A. Madia - Wed Apr 16, 2008 5:52 am

User avatar Hi Amy,

By what you describe, this more looks like a pinched nerve in the cervical as well as lumbosacral area, causing pain, tingling, numbness. nerves get pinched when they emerge from between the two vertebral bodies if the disc between the vertebrae has slipped a little or gotten thin due to degeneration. Some simple X rays should confirm/ rule this out. If so, you may need a course of physiotherapy and short wave diathermy.

Apurva
 ShakinThingzUp - Mon Apr 21, 2008 3:53 pm

Cervical MRI (without contrast) showed only: mild narrowing of spine at C6, C7, C8 and bone spurs; Brain MRI (without contrast) came back "normal." Neurosurgeon said that these results did not give an indication of what causes my pain/numbness from shoulder to hand......

They later did a lumbar MRI, and I have a copy of them, but have not yet been given the results ( I don't know for certain how to read them, but one disc is completely black) - at least 3 appear to be bulging or worse. I do not have an appointment for results, etc. until May 5. That appointment is with a neurologist.

Any advice on questions to ask him?

Would you recommend accupuncture if it is "pinched nerves" only?

Thank you.
Amy Garretson
 Dr. A. Madia - Fri Apr 25, 2008 12:59 am

User avatar If its not a pinched nerve, you could ask your doctor whether it is a 'Thoracic Outlet Syndrome'.
 ShakinThingzUp - Mon Apr 28, 2008 7:59 am

Thank you for the advice. I read about TOS & will remember that during his exam.

On Wednesday, I saw my eye doctor because I had a stabbing pain behind my eye & blurred vision. He says I have mild optic neuritis.... My family doctor has been out of the office since that morning, because she had the flu (the really bad one). So, she was unable to look over the information sent to her by my eye doctor. He wanted her to put me in the hospital for intravenous steriods...

My eye has not gotten worse, but it has not gotten better either. The blurred vision & the pain seem to come and go. I've actually been having pains all over my face (sharp, like electric shock) occasionally & wonder if this is related to the optic neuritis or just a migraine from the stress of all this.

Thank you very much for your responses. I really just want to get this overwith, get a diagnosis (whatever it is) & get some help for all the pain.

God Bless!
Amy

|