Question: bursting hot feeling in head when making sudden movements

kellimarie1982 - Thu Feb 28, 2008 11:15 pm

For as long as I can remember I occassionally get a painful bursting feeling in my head. I usually get them when I turn quickly to look at something, pick something up off the ground and stand back up or sneeze. It doesnt happen everytime just here and there and I wonder why. I ask other people if this ever happens to them and they say no. It almost like a explosion not in my whole head but in a certain area but not always the same area. It feels like a burst then it feels like it speads somewhat, its hotkinda hurts then it fades away. What is it and why is it that no-one know what im talking about.
 John Kenyon, CNA - Sun Aug 03, 2008 9:45 pm

This phenomenon you describe is much more common than you might think. It's the result of a momentary "plinging" of a nerve near the base of your skull, where it takes off from one of the higher cervical nerve outlets, and it is almost always shocking (and often is decribed as an electrical shock). Sometimes it can be very painful as well, and is almost always infrequent, and so unexpected. Sometimes the pain, weakness or shocked sensation can last for the better part of a minute (seeming, I'm sure, like a lot longer).

Annoying as can be, but not serious, unless of course it happens as you try to look over your shoulder while changing lanes on a freeway. I've never heard a proper name given to this phenomenon, nor a specific explanation, other than a nerve serving the neck/base of the skull is momentarily "plucked" or "plinged" by structures in the area below the mastoid process behind and below the ear.

Hope this is helpful. Just be glad it doesn't happen often.

|