News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Neurology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Neurology Answers List

Forum Name: Neurology Topics

Question: bursting hot feeling in head when making sudden movements

kellimarie1982 - Thu Feb 28, 2008 11:15 pm

For as long as I can remember I occassionally get a painful bursting feeling in my head. I usually get them when I turn quickly to look at something, pick something up off the ground and stand back up or sneeze. It doesnt happen everytime just here and there and I wonder why. I ask other people if this ever happens to them and they say no. It almost like a explosion not in my whole head but in a certain area but not always the same area. It feels like a burst then it feels like it speads somewhat, its hotkinda hurts then it fades away. What is it and why is it that no-one know what im talking about.
 John Kenyon, CNA - Sun Aug 03, 2008 9:45 pm

User avatar Hello -

This phenomenon you describe is much more common than you might think. It's the result of a momentary "plinging" of a nerve near the base of your skull, where it takes off from one of the higher cervical nerve outlets, and it is almost always shocking (and often is decribed as an electrical shock). Sometimes it can be very painful as well, and is almost always infrequent, and so unexpected. Sometimes the pain, weakness or shocked sensation can last for the better part of a minute (seeming, I'm sure, like a lot longer).

Annoying as can be, but not serious, unless of course it happens as you try to look over your shoulder while changing lanes on a freeway. I've never heard a proper name given to this phenomenon, nor a specific explanation, other than a nerve serving the neck/base of the skull is momentarily "plucked" or "plinged" by structures in the area below the mastoid process behind and below the ear.

Hope this is helpful. Just be glad it doesn't happen often.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here