News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Neurology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Neurology Answers List

Forum Name: Neurology Topics

Question: Night-time pins and needles in legs and arms

kari - Fri Feb 29, 2008 12:29 am

I am 29 years old, non-smoker and am generally fit and healthy. For the past year now I have been waking up at night with tingley sensations in my skin and shotting pins and needles and numbness in my left arm and hand (occassionally both) when lying on my back. Over the past month this has started happening in my legs and feet when lying on my side. It is only when I get up and move about are the symptoms relieved. This will occur in varying degrees of severity approx 3-4 times a month. There is no pain at all, it just feels weird.
When it first started happening I went to the doctor and had a series of tests: bloods (sugars, cholesterol, thyroid etc), ECG, blood pressure (has always been slightly low to normal), chest cavity x-ray. All came back normal; so the doctor put my symptoms down to stress.
Last September I had a missed-miscarriage at 11 weeks. I had a second one only a few weeks ago, exactly the same as the first. I went to the doctor today and asked if it may be at all possible that my sporadic night-time symptoms could be linked to the miscarriages. She said the symptoms are probably due my stress over the miscarriage and she told me not to worry so much.
What is your opinion on this matter?
 Debbie Miller, RN - Fri Mar 07, 2008 12:54 pm

User avatar Hello,
I am glad to hear you have had a work-up about this with appropriate testing to rule out serious disorders. Unfortunately there are some conditions in which defy all measurable tests and in most cases this is good news because nothing was found to be wrong or life-threatening. Your doctor's summation makes sense because your emotional state can affect you physically and everyone responds to stress differently. You might try some stress reducing and relaxation exercises, yoga, meditation, moderate exercise, music, etc.

In some cases, mild symptoms begin to show up long before a more serious condition presents itself. Hopefully this is not the case (and I would not expect it) but even so, if your overall health is good and you take care of yourself generally, it is not likely anything you can prevent anyway. You may have to take a watch and wait approach. I would try positioning yourself in bed with extra pillows and support to try and reduce any stress on your spine. You might also benefit from an analysis by a chiropractor.

Good luck with this.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here