Question: Dizziness/headaches/vertigo

Oonaghb27 - Sun Mar 02, 2008 6:19 am

Hello.,
I'm 34 years old. I have had a baby 6 months ago. Three weeks ago I experienced quite a strong dizzy spell. nothinglike I had expereinced before. I haven't felt myself since and have gone to my doctor. She has put me on Serc16 and I have an appointment with a nueurologist in a weeks time. sometimes my hearing feels different. I get sharp pains in the back of my head, but mostly a feeling of being off balance and completely not myself. When I get a dizzy spell it lasts at least a minute and I feel awful for a few hours afterwards. I can't go to sleep as the room feels like its spinning when I close my eyes. Like I;ve had too much to drink, but I haven't touched alcohol.

I feel bad as I feel I can't look after my baby properly. I'm worried as to what this is as its going on 3 weeks now and has actually been worse for the past 4 days even though I'm taking Serc. I've asked the neurologist for a cancellation apt as I'm worried.
 Oonaghb27 - Sat Apr 05, 2008 4:52 pm

hi, just to fill in. I had apt with neuroloist and he couldn't find anything wrong. sent me for a cat scan, which came back normal. I was at the doctor on call late one night and the doctor noticed i was holding my neck strangely. She suggested I see a physiotherapist. So I have been to the physio three times since. He was able to tell me on the first visit that my vertigo symptoms were as a result my neck and back. The joints had locked up and muscles very tight and sore. Since the first visit to him my vertigo symptoms have pretty much gone. I'll have to keep going regularly for massages to keep my neck and back loose, but I'm so relieved that we've found the problem. I never thought that my vertigo could be as a result of what felt like stress tension in my back/neck.
 John Kenyon, CNA - Tue Jul 15, 2008 10:46 pm

User avatar Hi Oonaghb27 -

You have discovered (the hard way) that there is, indeed, such a thing as cervical vertigo. This has been the subject of some controversy, it seems, but it has always made perfect sense to me, and you are fortunate to have found a doctor who not only took it seriously but knew about it! Thanks so much for sharing your experience here, as I'm sure there are a lot of people with this condition who are being told to just ride it out on the assumption it is benign positional vertigo (BPH), which responds fairly well to Antivert (meclizine), while cervical vertigo often just seems to run its miserable course.

Glad you found out what was going on and found the solution as well. These stories give people hope. Thanks again for sharing your story.
 jaimeleeloy - Thu Aug 28, 2008 9:53 pm

Two weeks ago I was hit with sudden migraines that would come and go. The next day I was flat in bed with fluctuating blood pressure levels that rose as high as 210 over 150 at rest. I felt so tired all i could do was sleep. For the next week I was short of breath, and any physical exertion including walking would floor me. Recently I went back to work. One minute i would be fine and then with no warning i would get sever neck pains, headaches, dizziness and trouble breathing. Sometimes my blood pressure during these spells would rise to about 153/91 and when the spells disappear it would return to normal. The neck pains persist. ECG, Echo, Sugar, cholestorol - all normal. Sometimes my pressure reading is perfect. This is not stress, i am in serious pain but no doctors can figure me out. Can anyone help me? It seems to be worsened dramatically by any physical exertion and when I am hungry- which is strange for me.

|