News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Neurology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Neurology Answers List

Forum Name: Neurology Topics

Question: EEG Significantly abnormal, not epilepsy??

Fiddichs - Sun Mar 02, 2008 11:54 am

Hi,
I suffered a blackout approx 5 weeks ago and was taken to hospital. I was out for approx 90seconds but showed no sign of a seizure.
I had a ECG, CT, and they came back normal.
I was referred for an EEG which I had on 20th Jan. The results came back as significantly abnormal but stated as not epilepsy. If its abnormal but not seizures what else could it be? I have still got dizzy spells and tiredness although its intermittant.
I have copied below the report.
Any help appreciated.

Report:
Responsive symmetrical alpha rhythm seen at 8Hz mixed with generalised fast activity and muscle artefact. Episodic and predominantly right temporal slow activity noted. Some of this activity was quite sharp. There was a well-marked and largely symmetrical response to hyperventilation which subsided rapidly. Photic stimulation gave symmetrical responses.
Conclusion:
The record was abnormal and indicated an intermittant disturbance, predominantly, of the right temporal function. Changes were non-specifc but were quite well marked. However no definate epileptiform or aetilogical features were noted. Nonetheless, further investigation and observation is indicated here as this was a significantly abnormal record.
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Sun Mar 09, 2008 7:41 pm

User avatar Hello Fiddichs,

This report basically showed some nonspecific findings in the temporal area. The abnormality they are referring to is the slowing. This may be due to an actual brain problem or a response to something else (such as the episode of passing out you experienced). Your report showed non-normal findings so now the question is, is this a problem with the brain or a symptom of something else going on (sorr of a which came first case).

I would recommend you follow up with a neurologist to help further evaluate this.

Best wishes.
 Fiddichs - Mon Mar 10, 2008 8:04 am

Hi,

Thanks for the post. When you say 'actual brain problem' what type of things are you referring to?
I have seen a neurologist and he is arranging an MRI scan and a sleep deprived EEG. He feels he needs more tests before he can make any further judgement although it seems he is leaning to epilepsy...
What will an MRI show?
I am worried that this could be something serious...

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here