Question: SCIATIC NERVE DAMAGE AND BURNING LEG

JIDI - Mon Mar 03, 2008 2:00 pm

I have damage to my sciatic nerve which causes severe burning in my leg --- from hip to toes. Had a successful laminectomy to free pressure on nerve a year ago. Pressure on nerve was relieved but the damage to the nerve is still there. Have had shots to relieve back pain, which worked. Had shots for burning which did not work. Currently taking neurontin and lyrica. I alternate them depending on whether I will be needing a clear head for the next 8 hours or so. Neurontin if not, lyrica if so. I do this to limit use of lyrica due to the expense.
The burning gets worse with activity, to the point where I have to stop and rest for a while --- sometimes for a day.
Neurologist/pain specialist said there was nothing more he could do.
Will this ever go away?? Is there a better treatment?? Will exercise help??
 Debbie Miller, RN - Mon Mar 31, 2008 6:05 pm

Have you ever been referred to a physical therapist? Some people get relief through chiropractic care and there are alternative medical treatments such as accupuncture. This is truly one of the most difficult chronic problems you can experience.

I don't really know of anything else. Good luck.
 chlduvthkng - Sun Aug 31, 2008 4:08 pm

Not medical advice, but here you go...I have sciatica also, and it truly is one of the most frustrating things; having limited use of you back and legs makes it difficult to preform mundane tasks- or even get around for that matter. The only thing I have found so far that helps me at all is pilates....very easy pilates. I still experience very frequent discomfort, but it does help some. Good luck!

|