Question: Dizzy, weak and now everything tastes salty

lisa3g - Thu Mar 06, 2008 6:12 pm

I have always suffered from severe headaches, headaches that I would have described as migraines...until recently. About a year ago I was standing in my living room when all of the sudden there was this spot in my left eye. I can only describe it as a watermark or a prism. It starts off small and then over the course of about 30 minutes it grows to encompass my entire vision out of the left eye. It seems to block my peripheral vision. Then it disappears and about thirty minutes later the headache starts. It is the most intense headache I have ever had. The first time this happened it scared me to death. I finally figured out that this was the "aura" that so many migraine suffers talk about. Since that time, I have had no less than 5 migraines, two of which happened in the last month.

For the last three weeks I have been getting these dizzy feelings. It is like a pulsing in my head. It is just one big pulse followed by dizziness and kind of a loopy feeling. This comes out of the blue. It happens when I am sitting, standing, lying down, working, driving, just all the time. I have also noticed that my left arm and leg appear to be going numb a lot more often then they used to and occasionally I have a sharp pain that radiates from my head down into my neck on the left side.

My newest symptom is that everything I eat tastes salty. This has been going on for the last two days. Food tastes so salty I can't even finish it. I have tried getting my husband and kids to taste the food and they can't taste the salt but to me it seems like someone poured an entire bottle of salt on the food.

Any ideas here? I have an appointment with my PCP on the 18th. Are there specific questions I should ask or suggestions I should make to her?

This dizzy thing has got to stop...it is driving me nuts!

Thanks for any help, advice, or ideas you may be able to provide.
 Debbie Miller, RN - Fri Apr 04, 2008 5:55 pm

I believe this is all part of the migraine "aura." Salty taste has been reported in conjunction with migraines.

By now you have seen your doctor so I would be interested to know what conclusions she came to. Was your blood pressure OK? Did she check your blood for iron, thyroid disorders, etc.? Have you had your vision checked?

If you are still struggling, it might be good to see a neurologist.

Olovigne - Sat Apr 05, 2008 1:07 pm

Do these headaches make you feel sick?
 lisa3g - Sun Apr 13, 2008 3:11 pm

Hello Debbie:

My doctor felt it was a sinus infection. I was on antibiotics for two weeks and have started taking zyrtec-d for my allergies. The dizzy spells are better, but I am still having them occasionally.

My BP was fine, 106/62. We have done blood work to check iron and thyroid but I haven't heard anything about the results yet. I have been meaning to call...guess I should get on that :)

Olvigne:

To answer your question, yes, typically my migraines make me feel sick. I have found the best way to control it is to try to sleep through it, if possible. Sometimes I will take a benadryl to help me sleep through the headache.

|