Question: Numbness of face, arm and hand

tish1150 - Tue Mar 11, 2008 7:30 am

I've been having numbness on the right side of my face, right arm and hand. It comes and goes, sometimes with several hours between times, sometimes minutes. I do not lose the use of my hand or my arm. It's been going on now for 3 weeks. Any idea what this can be?
 Dr. A. Madia - Sat Mar 15, 2008 11:35 am

Diabetes Mellitus is one condition in which the extra glucose in the blood could cause 'glycation' of the nerve fibers anywhere in your body and this will lead to a condition called diabetic neuropathy. This will manifest as symptoms like tingling, numbness, burning, or cold sensations in the area supplied ny the affected nerve.

However, this diabetic neuropathy more commonly occurs in the lower limbs and is usually bilaterally symmetrical, which is not so in your case.

At age 58 one of the more likely reason for your condition is cervical spondylosis wherein discs of the spinal column in the neck area would herniate and cause pressure effects on the nerve roots. It is from this cervical area that nerves are supplied to the part in which you are having the numbness.

One simple answer to this would be an X ray of the cervical spine followed by physiotherapy, short wave diathermy, traction etc.

Apurva
 tish1150 - Sat Mar 15, 2008 1:10 pm

Thank you Dr. Madia.
I really didn't think it had anything to do with the Diabetes. I know that each time I had an exray that the Dr's would say,"You do know that you have arthritis in your spine don't you?"

|