Question: Benign Rolandic Epilepsy

Jamie_brr - Sat Mar 15, 2008 12:14 am

From the ages of 9-13, I had approximately 5 seizures related to what I believe to be benign rolandic epilepsy (I had an eeg done, but being so young I never learned the true diagnosis, just that it was abnormal, looking up my seizures now I see this is what they were as they fit the textbook profile for bre: at night, tingling in mouth/throat, drooling, speech arrest- 2 turned into grand mal) I was never medicated, and I have now been seizure free for 8 years, and am about to get married. I am looking into going on the traditional combination birth control pill or possibly the mini pill. Is there any chance these will cause my seizures to return? I'm curious because I know BRE remits around puberty (as it did for me) and so I wonder what role hormones play in this. Thank you.

Jamie
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Tue Mar 18, 2008 9:58 pm

User avatar Hi Jamie,

Benign Rolandic Epilepsy is also known as Benign Rolandic Epilepsy of Childhood because it tends to resolve around puberty, as you've stated. It is not known exactly what the cause is. In patients where the seizures have resolved I am not aware of them returning. It is not known whether hormones play a role in the development of this seizure disorder; however, it seems that once it has resolved it is finished.

It should be safe to take the hormonal contraceptive without worry about the seizures returning.

|