Question: Numbness and tingling in my hands and arms.....

spyderwoman - Sun Mar 30, 2003 11:44 am

I wake up every morning now with numbness, tingling and swelling in my hands and arms. The tingling stays with me till mid-day or so..I am not sure what is causing this, but it has gotten to where it is now waking me in the middle of my sleep. Any advise on this would be greatly appreciated...
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Thu Apr 03, 2003 12:38 pm

User avatar Dear spyderwoman,
Please describe the exact distribution of this sensation. Which fingers are involved? is it in the same hand all the time? Is it accompanied by pain :?:
Regards,
Dr. Tamer Fouad M.D.
 spyderwoman - Thu Apr 03, 2003 4:44 pm

Dear Dr.Fouad,
Thankyou for your reply and questions.
I have numbness In all of my right hand and fingers. A tingling feeling like my hand is asleep. It is accompied my pain shooting from the palm of my hand to my elbow mostly and to my shoulder on occasions. It seems to be the worst when i am sleeping and when i first wake up. I hope these answers help.

Thankyou.
 Dr. Yasser Mokhtar - Fri Apr 04, 2003 8:30 pm

User avatar Dear Spiderwoman,

What you are describing could be related to either:
1. Carpal tunnel syndrome.
2. Arthritis of your neck and you sleeping in a bad position.

i personnaly favour the former.

My advice to you is to be checked by your physician and have an x-ray on your neck and be referred to a neurologist to have to a special nerve test on your hands nerves to confirm or rule out the presence of carpal tunnel syndrome.

|