Question: Numbness in my face (updated)

DaveT - Fri Oct 22, 2004 1:40 pm

I am currently seeing my neurologist in 2 days.

Let me bring you up to date...About 2 months ago, I experienced weakness on my right side, notably in my arm and hand, and some trouble speaking. An MRI was done and the cause was an inflammation in my brain. It soon passed and everything was normal. The doctor said the cause may be MS, but it is too early to tell. I am a 19 year old male in good physical shape, by the way.

Anyways, about 3 days ago, I experienced an intense headache that was very concentrated on the left side of my head. It had passed by the next day, but a day later, I noticed a strange feeling in my forehead. The next morning, which is yesterday, I realized that the entire left side of my face had become numb. The feeling is best described as if someone had injected my entire face with novacaine. The feeling still remains today, at around the same intensity if not more. My neurologist said he does not think this is a cause for concern and can wait until Monday to look at it. He is an MS doctor, by the way.

Anyways, I was just wondering if there were any ideas of what could be causing this? I feel perfectly fine otherwise. The numbness is just pretty uncomfortable. Could the headache I had be related? It was on the same side as the numbness. Could this all be part of MS? I have read that MS attacks usually take place over many years, not just a few months.

Any ideas would be appreciated.
 Carolyn Merritt, LPN - Sat Oct 23, 2004 12:31 am

User avatar Hello:
While facial numbness can be a sign of MS, it can also be a sign of a disease called Neurofibromatosis2 which is a tumor on a nerve. This disease most often affects teenagers or young adults. Your doctor should be able to determine what is causing your particular problem as he has access to your history and can use tests to rule out other possibilities.
Regards,
Carolyn
 DaveT - Sat Oct 23, 2004 12:13 pm

Thanks!

Although I should add that I was under a large amount of stress before this happened. I was studying for midterms and was worried about not being prepared enough. Could this be a result of stress? I've never heard of half your face going numb from stress but you never know!

And could the headache I had be related?
 DaveT - Mon Oct 25, 2004 3:35 pm

My doctor beleives that this numbness is being caused the same inflammation that I originally had 2 months ago. I will have another MRI in the near future but for now, he considers it still to be an isolated incident and does not have enough information to diagnose it as MS.

Lets hope it isn't!
 Eileen - Mon Jan 03, 2005 9:06 am

Dear Dave,

My name is Eileen and I am a 32 year old mother of 3. I have been experiencing the same numbness as you described in the right side of my face. It all started off with a bad headache on the right side of my forehead and under my right eye. From there I started taking sudafed for sinus, which helped the pain but the next day the right side of my face was numb. The way you described it was perfect. I also feel like I had a shot of novicane in my face. I went to an ENT doctor thinking I had a sinus infection. It has been a week now and I am waiting for results from xrays that were taken of my sinuses. I see that this message board was from October and I was wondering if you are still experiencing the numbness in your face? Also, I was wondering if you were diagnosed with any specific thing and if you have received treatment. Please get back to me ASAP. Thank you.

Eileen
 Litlbit71 - Sat Nov 12, 2005 8:17 pm

I have had similar symptoms in the right side of my face as well. It started on a Saturday night with a slight headache what I thought was sinuses since it was in my right eye. The headache lasted until Monday early afternoon but was very slight and I have had a sinus headache before. After the headache was gone I started seeing a bright light in my right eye which I thought was an onset of a migrane but it lasted only a few short minutes and I didn't get the headache. A couple hours later I felt a numbness on the right side of my tongue and it started spreading to my lips - again the right side only. I really didn't think much of it but within a couple of days it spread throughout the right side of my face completely and it was starting to itch like crazy. Then a couple days later my speech was slurred like a had drank too much, my handwriting was like chicken scratch, I use the backspace key when typing more than the spacebar and my right arm and leg feel weird. I went to my family doctor and he had me do bloodwork, a MRI and a CT scan which all came out normal. He sent me to a neurologist and he ran me through balance tests and I was quite wobbly. Then he ordered an EEG and a BAER - all came back normal. My neurologist gave me a prescription for calming the nerves (for epilepsy patients) but it doesn't seem to help though I take them religiously. I have a follow up in a couple of weeks but this is getting crazy! I wish somebody could help.
 numb - Sun Nov 13, 2005 12:19 am

Hi Dave, Can I ask if you had any after-effects from MRI like after it was done if you felt dizzy or tired or any effect?
 buckeyejh - Sun Nov 13, 2005 5:47 pm

Hello, I too have numbness in my face. It is on the left side mainly around my eye socket from by my nose all around the eye to my forehead. It is the weirdest thing and actually does feel like someone has injected novocaine into my face. Sometimes it is accompanied with chills on the left top part of my head and often with a headache and dizziness too. I was in a car accident last year and have chronic neck pains. I just had a MRI of my neck that revealed two bulging disks as well as degenerative bone disease. I had a mylogram and CT scan that showed nothing out of the ordinary in my neck as far as the nerves are concerned. I have also had and EMG that showed nothing. I do get sinus headaches and infections quite often as well as nose bleeds from my right nostril. I was not sure if this numbness was a result of my sinuses or the nerves in my neck. Could a polyp in my sinus cavity or sinus problems cause these symptoms?
Jack
 izzy2/14 - Sat Dec 31, 2005 12:17 am

IAM 37 YEARS OLD AND I ALSO HAVE NUMBNESS IN MY FACE. IT STARTED ON MY LEFT SIDE RIGH NEXT TO MY EYE AND THEN JUST SPREAD AROUND MY EYE, MY EYE LID, MY CHEECK AND MY EAR. ONCE AND A WHILE I FEEL IT ON MY RIGHT SIDE. I THOUGHT I WAS HAVING A STROKE THE DIZZINESS I SOMETIMES GET WITH IT IS UNBARABLE I'M DIZZY EVEN WHEN I LAY DOWN. THEN I GET THIS FEELING IN BOTH MY EYES LIKE THEY DON'T WANT TO OPEN AND I HAVE A HARD TIME FORCEING THEM OPEN AND AT THE SAME TIME THEY STING. I SEE BRIGHT LIIGHT AT NIGHT TIME WHEN I'M FALLING ASLEEP AND THINK THAT SOME ONE CAME IN AND TURNED ON THE LIGHT.
THE NUMBNESS SEEMS WORSE WHEN I'M TIRED. IN THE MORNING AND AT NIGHT.
I WENT TO THE DOCTORS AND HE SAID IT WAS A PART OF MIGRAINES. I'VE SUFFERED WITH MIGRAINES ALL MY LIFE AND HE SAID IT JUST IS DOING A DIFFERENT THING NOW. HE SENT ME TO A NUEROLOGIST AND DID A CT SCAN MRI AND EVERYTHING CAME BACK NORMAL. HE SENT ME HOME WITH A SIEZURE MEDICNE AND IMITREX FOR MIGRAINS.
SOMETIMES LIKE TODAY AN EXCEDRINE WILL WORK ON IT. BUT IT MIGHT JUST BE MIND OVER MATTER I DON'T KNOW.
MY DENTIST TOLD ME IT IS BECAUSE OF MY TOOTH. I GOT A ROOT CANAL AND WAS SO EXCITED THAT IT WOULD GO AWAY AND IT DID FOR ABOUT 3 MONTHS AND CAME BACK. BUT IT DOES THAT. I WILL HAVE IT EVERY DAY AND THEN FOR A WHILE IT WILL GO AWAY AND THEN REAPEAR. ANYWAY IF ANYBODY HAS ANY ANSWERS FOR ME I WOULD LOVE TO KNOW WHAT IT REALLY IS.[/b]
 Raspie1 - Sun Feb 26, 2006 10:44 am

Hello!

I am a 46 year old female that has been experiencing numbness in my right face since November. After having a CT, CTA, MRI, EER, EMG, SER and extensive blood work (at an age where disease can start to manifest, ugh) the doctor has determined that I too have migraine headaches. I do have slight headaches nothing I would have ever thought... He gave me Depakote to take nightly at bedtime and Ketorolac to take when I have a headache, no OTC medications with Depakote. Some of the feeling has returned, yesterday I did have a terrible headache and noticed that the numbness returned. BYW the numbness does feel just like I've had a shot Novocain.

I also have degenerative arthritis in my neck. However, the doc says the neck and head are not related and the symptoms are not from that.

|