Question: Question about TMJ Disorder

darkestdays30 - Mon Apr 21, 2008 6:50 am

Can you have TMJ if you don't have any problem with limited opening of your mouth or no problem with your bite?

My mouth only pops when it's opened wide. My kids said theirs does the same thing, so that is likely normal. Otherwise I have symptoms, the jaw pain, neck pain, headaches, tingling sensations, numbness in cheeks, spasms, hurts to chew anything, hurts to open mouth, starting to hurt to even talk.

Could having your lower teeth all pulled out from one side cause such a problem where you have to just chew everything on one side of your mouth or maybe it's as simple as straining my muscles causing the pain?? Some of the pain started before I had all those teeth pulled though.

Thanks.
 John Kenyon, CNA - Thu Jul 31, 2008 8:47 pm

Well it sounds as though there is a familial tendency to some sort of misalignment of the jaw, and yes, you can definitely have TMJ without limited opening of the mouth. If there was already a tendency or trait involving the jaw and you've been forced to chew on one side, you almost certainly do have TMJ and all the symptoms practically make it classic. Please get this looked at, as the symptoms can become much worse and there are things that can be done to correct this and avoid the pain and other aggravations assoiciated with it.

Hope this is helpful. Good luck to you.
 darkestdays30 - Thu Sep 04, 2008 2:00 pm

I've been at the point that I cannot bite down on food without it making my mouth hurt. I had a mouth piece for TMJ but everytime I'd put it in my mouth, I'd start gagging and sometimes throw up, so I cut the back off and it helped. I now wear it to sleep every night. When I wake up, my teeth are clenched together really tight. A past dentist told me that I grind my teeth in my sleep. I obviously clench my teeth together too. Maybe that caused the TMJ, because now where I wear the mouth piece when I sleep, the pain is starting to disappear. Thank you!
 John Kenyon, CNA - Fri Sep 05, 2008 10:57 am

User avatar You're very welcome.
Nocturnal tooth-grinding and habitual jaw-clenching are often the cause of TMJ or at least of the aggravation of underlying TMJ. I'm glad you were able to alter the mouthpiece so that it works for you. This could yield very positive long-term results.

|