Question: speech problems/tingling/electric shocks/eye spasms

corvallis - Wed May 14, 2008 3:13 am

Hello.
It might be easier if I start with my symptoms.
Tingling in legs on average twice a month sometimes more.
One eye will become 'wavy' for an hour or so on average every month.
In general my speech is good however quite often words will become stuck and it takes a few moments for me to 'push' them out. The same happens in regards to writing. My hand will freeze mid sentence and I wont be able to start writing again until I lift my hand and place down again. Also it seems as though I cant say the word I require and I will randomnly make up a word that is a mixture of two words with the same meaning, even though I try very hard not to!
Quite often I will feel electric shocks from mid forearm to fingers, this is starting to worry me a little as Im an early childhood teacher and have nearly dropped a child from the sensation!
I suffer neck and shoulder pain accompanied by severe headaches. I realise this is a symptom of many problems but felt it should be mentioned.
My bowells are often abnormal and far too frequent, and are accompanied by nausea.
Im not sure if this is worth bothering my GP about. My symptoms have become more frustrating but above all I want to make sure the children I take care of have a competent and safe teacher. Are these symptoms possibly just a mineral defficiency that I could rectify easily? Thank you for your time

Regards
Corvallis
New Zealand
 John Kenyon, CNA - Wed Jul 30, 2008 9:28 pm

First things last: this is definitely worth "bothering" your GP with. While I don't think anything terrible is going on, and, in fact, there may be two or more minor things working in concert to cause these problems, it is starting to interfere with your work and your life in general. I don't see any unifying thing here, but some symptoms do group themselves, and with the neck pain I suspect some of your problems may be being caused by a nerve impingement. There is also a possibility that you are sleep-deprived (the word-groping thing) and don't realize it. The bowel problem sounds a lot like simple irritable bowel syndrome, although I hate to just write things off to the simplest possible cause, which is why I definitely think it's time to see your doctor about all this. Much of it can probably be explained easily enough, but I suspect there is something neurological going on (even vitamin B-12 deficiency comes to mind) and it's probably not too complicated. I won't attempt to diagnose at a distance, but these are some of the ideas I have. Now it's your doctor's turn to find out what, exactly is wrong and what can be done to make it go away.

Good luck to you and please do follow up with us here.

|