Question: Shingles related to Neuralgia-type pain?

ShakinThingzUp - Tue Jul 15, 2008 1:18 pm

I am currently under the care of a Neurologist who is about 1-1/2 hours from where I live (remote area). They are running to tests to either diagnose or rule out MS among other possibilities.
Recently the Neurosurgeon and Physiologist they had me see (through EMG and MRI tests) ruled out that my pain/problems were coming from sciatica.

The other possiblities (per the Neuro) are Migraine with aura or something like MS that may take a long time to diagnose because if I have it he presumes I am in the early stages.

Now........ I have only been seeing this Neuro for a few months. In 2002/2003 I lived in a different area, and at that time I had similar health problems than now. Then, it was presumed that my leg pain was caused by my bulging disc/pinched nerve and that my headaches were migraine/tension headaches and they were treated by two separate doctors. No one related the two or had any reason to. (Now I have the shooting pains in my arm also, and the pain in my leg moved to the other leg, etc.)

Anyway, back in 2002, I also had shingles on the back of my left hip (the place where my neuralgic type pain also began). Never put the two together before now.

My current doctor is unaware of this as he does not have those medical records. I've read a little online and wonder if my previous case of shingles may apply to my current situation because I've read that Shingles & Neuralgic type pain can be related????

Should I be concerned about this or is it likely unrelated to what I'm going through now, nearly 5 years later???

Thank you,
Amy
 Theresa Jones, RN - Tue Sep 30, 2008 9:10 am

User avatar Hi ShakinThingzUp,
MS is difficult to diagnose because symptoms do wax and wane. However, a MRI is one diagnostic study that assists in disease identification. An episode of shingles may absolutely cause post herpetic neuralgia (persistent pain after the rash has dissipated) for weeks, months, or even years in a small percentage of patients. I would encourage you to bring this to the attention of your treating physician. Best wishes.

|