Question: nerve ablation

problems101 - Thu Aug 14, 2008 7:50 pm

HI,

I've been through 6 doctors searching for answers for my pelvic pain. Many things have been ruled out, hernia, ovarian cancers & such.

Right now I'm with a obgyn specialist who believes a nerve that runs through my pelvic floor is being pinched & is spasming. I have flare ups during what would be my cycle, (I had novasure done so I don't bleed) I think he called it an illionguinal something. We are starting lupron next thursday. I guess if that works I'll need a hysterectomy.

I've read about Nerve ablations.. What do people feel like afterwards. do they have a dead sensation (such as a foot falling asleep) in that area or pain just gone?

I'm just curious if you've done nerve ablations. I thought I'd bring it up to him,

I'm just curious & thanks
Diane
 John Kenyon, CNA - Mon Sep 29, 2008 10:53 pm

Nerve ablations, so far as I am aware, are only done, so far, to relieve pain originating in facet joints of the spine. The ilioinguinal nerve may possibly be a candidate, at least if the root of the irritation can be traced back to the outlet at a facet joint of the illiac spine. This is dubious, since the iliac crest is so low in the back, but I'm not that well-versed in this area of the anatomy, so it may be a possible solution to your problem.

I am unable to ask your very reasonable question about residual numbness, although for the usual back pain patient, the relief of pain is usually all that is reported. It should also be noted that with the usual spinal facet joint nerve ablation procedure, the nerves can actually regenerate, which at times can cause the pain to return. I would assume any other lost sensation would also return.

This is the best I can give you on this. Hopefully your doctor can give you some guidance as to whether or not nerve ablation would be an option for you and, if so, what the side effects might be.

I hope this is helfpul.
 problems101 - Mon Nov 03, 2008 8:31 am

When I asked about the nerve ablation, I should have mentioned at the age of 1 I got encephelitis, They told my mom I'd be a vegetable & would possibly die, I had seizures for 6 years & then the seizures stopped.

I'm still dealing with my pelvic pain & flare ups, My obgyn will admit that it's some kind of nerve/pelvic floor issue.

mentally I'm mostly ok. I don't have a memory even the same customer 1 day apart is very hard for me to remember it's embarrasing.

Do you think my pelvic pain/nerve issue could be related to the seizures/encephelitis thing? if I wanted to get this checked out -- is the proper medical field Neurology?

thanks
Diane
 John Kenyon, CNA - Mon Nov 03, 2008 2:24 pm

User avatar Hello Diane -

There is a possibility (statistical at least) of some relationship between the pelvic floor nerve problem and the earlier encephalitis, although there's no clear, consistent sort of conection between these two problems in general. It's only the fact that there is a history of central neurological illness that makes this potentially likely.

Neurology is definitely the proper field for this thread, yes. Please stay in touch with us here and follow up as needed or if anything new develops.

|