Forum Name: Headaches

Question: Headaches and shakiness

nescrew - Sat Aug 16, 2008 2:59 am

19 years old.

I have been getting headaches for quite some time now especially after I eat, anything. I had about 3 sips of wine tonight and about 2 minutes afterwards I started shaking really bad and my head at both sides started feeling like they were coming together, now 3 hrs later I still have the same headache, not so shaky though.

Also lately, ive found it hard to even go outside at night. if theres any sort of light out my eyes start twitching, i get shaky, feel like im going to vomit and i get shots of pain either through my temples or that feeling i explained earlier(head getting smashed)

any help?
 John Kenyon, CNA - Tue Aug 26, 2008 10:47 pm

There is some neurological issue that needs to be addressed here. It sounds as though you've started to experience some sort of central nervous system reflex in response to certain stimuli (ingestion of foods, exposure to artificial lighting). This is sometimes the way migraine presents itself. The response to the wine by itself would seem fairly ordinary ("wine headache" is fairly common), but given the fact that this also happens with apparently random foods and in response to lights suggests possibly some variant of migraine, or perhaps some other problem which would best be evaluated by a consult with a neurologist. Hopefully you can arrange for this.

I wish I could be of more help, but the symptoms are just random enough to make it difficult to even guess at a distance, except so far as I already have. Have a neurological workup and it may be that there are some simple things that can be done to relieve the symptoms.

Please follow up with us here, especially if there are any other factors you may not have mentioned in this post. Good luck to you.
 nescrew - Tue Aug 26, 2008 11:45 pm

I was in an accident in 2003. I was run over by a bus. I seen a few neurologists, all giving me different answers. One says I still had dry blood on my skull which rubs up against my brain?(Sounds silly to me, that I could still have that), another said it could be my vertebrates causing all of these problems-which another said that isn't possible and that my vertebrates weren't bad enough to do that, another said it's all just psychological. I stopped messing with that case in late 2006 because it seemed as though it was going no where.

Until December of 2007, I was 5 months pregnant and had a partial seizure. I was given an EKG? I forget and it came back slightly abnormal. I was given Keppra. But that made me feel suicidal and sick. I discontinued it myself. I went back to see the dr and he wanted to run another test, but my insurance was cut off...

I've never been truly diagnosed with epilepsy. I never truly seized before. I've blacked out a few times, not recently though...
 John Kenyon, CNA - Wed Aug 27, 2008 11:20 am

User avatar Hello again -

Well that accident (and it was quite an accident!) does make a difference, since it probably accounts for most of the neurological symptoms. The "dried blood" is probably a small hematoma (a bleed, in this case, between the brain and the skull, and which has probably dried somewhat, perhaps to the consistency of jello) and that could very easily be causing the problem, if, in fact, there is such a hematoma still up in there. Some of the smaller ones dissipate with time, while others remain to cause intermittent symptoms.

The test you had was probably an EEG (electroencephalogram) to see if you were seizure-prone. If you do have an intermittent problem between the skull and brain it might well not have been causing any problem at the time and could have caused the test to be negative. If there is some blood or a hematoma still up there and it's causing enough problems, there are relatively simple ways to remove it surgically, in most cases. First it has to be proven, however, by imaging studies.

Hopefully this all continues to get better with time, although some of the orthopedic injuries causing nerve impingements may need work. Best of luck to you. Please do stay in touch.

|