News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Neurology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Neurology Answers List

Forum Name: Neurology Topics

Question: Hard lump on vein beneath skin on neck

wickedjermany - Tue Aug 26, 2008 6:13 pm

I have a lump on the side of my neck, underneath the skin... its not really visible, but you can feel it when you move your finger across it. It appears to perhaps be attached to a vein. It is about an inch below the back of my hairline on the right side of my neck. the lump is very hard and the size of a pea or a beebee (sp?).

I noticed this first two days ago not long after getting a particularly large insect bite about an inch or two from the spot. I'm not sure if these two are related. I've tried to rub it out, thinking it was just a tiny tense muscle knot or something, but it isnt going anywhere.

The lump isnt particularly painful, but the right side of my neck feels slightly odd. It isn't warm and it does not move at all. It is very firm.

I know this is probably crazy, but someone joked and said that maybe a bug laid an egg beneath my skin?! Naturally, I am now more paranoid.

Please help! I am out of town and without a car, so going to the doctor is a bit of a challenge.
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Thu Aug 28, 2008 10:00 pm

User avatar Hello Wickedjermany,

I suspect what you are feeling is actually a lymph node. There are many lymph nodes in the neck, including the area you are describing. It may or may not be related to the bug bite. Lymph nodes can swell when fighting off an infection (whether there are symptoms or not) then reduce back down in size after the infection is past. Occasionally they do not shrink fully back down to their previous size and remain about the size of a pea or so. These are referred to as shotty nodes, as in they feel like buck shot. These nodes still function normally.

If the lump begins to get bigger in size, becomes painful or you are concerned about it I would recommend you have it evaluated, otherwise it is probably fine. (By the way, the bug egg issue is incredibly unlikely as you've suspected.)

Best wishes.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here