Forum Name: Headaches

Question: on-going flu-like symtoms with headache

tamaramarie3 - Thu Aug 28, 2008 5:51 pm

I've been dealing with flu-like symtoms with headache now for the last few weeks. I saw a nurse today about it, but I think she was anxious to go home, or something, because I felt rushed and I didn't feel like she was really into helping me. I hope someone on here can help me. I'm on depo prevera, so I know I'm not pregnant and I don't think it's a bug because no one elce in my home has caught it from me and it's lasted too long to be a bug. I just feel plain lowsy - everyday - all the time - and I'm really sick of it. I have no energy to do anything, I'm tired all the time, bad headaches, diarea, nausia, stomach pain, chills - then sweats, my body aches terribly, I feel lame like I worked out really hard, but didn't - I just feel aweful. I hurt from my head to my toes. It seems as though it never fails - everytime I eat anything, I get diarea afterwards. Sometimes not even through with my meal yet and I have to run to the bathroom. I'm too afraid to go out to dinner with my husband, or friends, because I know I'll get sick and the last thing I want, is to get sick out in public. What is wrong with me? I've always been a healthy person - I haven't had all kinds of health problems, or anything, so this is really strange to me. What should I do?
 John Kenyon, CNA - Sat Sep 20, 2008 10:18 pm

As I was reading your post I immediately thought you sounded as though you may well have mononucleosis -- and you well might -- but then I got to the lower GI problems, which are not typical of mono, and so am not quite as certain as I was before I hit that part. While mono can cause this, especially by way of liver involvment, this also opens the possibility of liver disease, specifically hepatitis A (viral hepatitis). Symptom-wise both mono and hep-A can be similar, but hep-A is more likely to show up with lower GI symptoms as well. In other ways both diseases run similar courses, and hep-A usually resolves on its own, but should be followed by a physician. The only way to be certain which it is (or if it's some other, obscure problem) is to see a doctor and have some blood work done to uncover the cause. In the case of both mono and hep-A, contagion is usually by direct and repeated contact -- not everyone you come near will get the bug. So it's entirely possible for one person in a household to have either.

I would recommend getting tested for the various possible viral infections mentioned above and possibly some other related ones (like Epstein-Barr, if neither of the first two show up), then follow your doctor's advice, which will include getting lots of rest (your body will force you to do this anyway), and proper nutrition. Treatment otherwise is mainly symptomatic (something to control diarrhea and possibly for nausea, headaches, etc.). It's no fun, but it's generally pretty benign.

I hope this is helpful to you. Please follow up with us here.

|