Question: Sudden Onset Fatigue

nikkipro - Fri Aug 29, 2008 10:07 am

I am 42-years old and 2 days ago all of a sudden I felt extremely fatigued. I could barely function. I went to see my physician and he said he could not find anything wrong with me. He only looked in my throat and ears. He did not do any blood work or check my pulse. He said it sounded like I was getting a virus but he did not know what type yet, as I had no other symptoms. The next day, I still had the severe fatigue, feeling so tired and no energy, all I wanted to do was go to sleep, but I could not because of a heavy schedule. I am still tired, very tired. I can barely function. Nothing has changed in my diet or in my life other than starting back to school. I am nervous about this. Occassionally I will get a mild headache on the sides of my head and some shoulder pains. But I am still very fatigued, not relieved by rest or sleeping.
 John Kenyon, CNA - Thu Sep 18, 2008 11:13 pm

While your doctor may be correct in guessing that you have a viral infection, it would still be useful to know what sort it is, since if it is one, it sounds like it could be mononucleosis or something similar. However, there's no evidence it isn't something else either, since he didn't do much of an exam. If the fatigue still persists I'd go back and insist on a complete physical with bloodwork and an EKG to rule out some viral infection that may leave you feeling this way for a matter of weeks (it would help to know, for instance, if you do have mono), and to be certain you don't have some structural or vascualr problem with your heart. It's unlikely, but on rare occasions such problems can present this way.

If your doctor is unwilling to delve deeper you'll definitely need to see someone else. This is a potentially serious problem (although what we do not yet know) and deserves a competent exam at the least.

Best of luck to you. Please follow up with us here.

|