Question: Demyelination in the Temporal Lobes

schm1566 - Sat Aug 30, 2008 11:46 am

My dad has been having some problems with various things over the past few years, and recently he had a CT scan/MRI that showed that he had demyelination in the temporal lobes of the brain. Now I was a Biology major for a couple semesters and will graduate with a psych major, so I sort of understand how this works and how it might work with his rage issues and such, but I was just wondering if I could get any clarification on what may have caused this and what the outcome of this will be.
Thank you so much for any help you can give me-
 John Kenyon, CNA - Sun Sep 07, 2008 11:58 pm

There are a great number of things which might cause this situation, and the outcome will depend in large part upon the cause. Causes can range from multiple sclerosis (MS) to environmental (exposure to radiation, usually medical; chronic exposure to volatile fumes such as organic solvents, etc.), to Guilain-Barre disease (GB) and on and on. A lot of detective work is often involved, but knowing what may be the cause not only drives the management (and possible cure) but also helps develop a prognosis. If you are aware of any occupational or medical exposures that may have occurred this would be very helpful.

If the condition is related to MS it will run an unpredictable course most likely, with possible remissions and flareups. If it is due to one of the more arcane neurological diseases the symptoms could be progressive. Hopefully a neurologist can do an in-depth workup and give you an idea (possibly with input from you as regards history of environmental or medical exposures) of what the course might be.

I hope this is helpful. Best of luck to you both. Please stay in touch with us.

|