Question: Right side of face gets numb and jaw tightens.

tonynrey1003 - Sun Aug 31, 2008 1:30 am

I have been having this problem for a few weeks now and have been very concerned. I am 28 and unfortunately, I have no insurance. Anyway, it seems that everytime I lay on my stomach, the right side of my face gets numb and my jaw tightens. I can not open my mouth at all. This lasts less then 30 seconds and then I am fine. I am aware of it happening everytime, so I don't think it is a stroke or anything. I also have noticed that while I am standing up my face gets slightly numb. This doesn't always happen though. I have done extensive search online, but have had no luck figuring this out. I would really appreciate some help with this. Thanks so much!!

Amy
 John Kenyon, CNA - Sun Sep 07, 2008 12:32 am

I don't think you're having a stroke either, but you may have temporomandibular joint problems (TMJ) or at least may be putting some unwanted pressure on one side of your jaw when you lie face-down. This is not as unusual as you might think, and TMJ is a frequent culprit in jaw tightness, jaw pain, facial numbness, etc. It could be as simple as your position while lying down, or it could be that you clench your jaw while sleeping (if you in fact sleep in that position). It could even be a combination of both.

You might want to bring this to the attention of a doctor or even a dentist. There are sometimes some fairly simple fixes if it is TMJ.

Hope this is helpful. Best of luck and please do stay in touch.

|