Question: Tingling in my left shin

JReality - Tue Sep 02, 2008 11:53 am

Ever since Thursday night, I've noticed a slight tingling in my left shin
that lasts as much as 7 seconds (typically 3 seconds or less) after standing with some weight on my left foot, and then lifting the foot up (like to start walking). The tingling is subtle, so far, but concerns me mainly because it is not "supposed to happen". There are periods of time when it doesn't happen. Also it may not happen exactly as I described. For example, the tingling may not happen until the 2nd step after I start walking after having stood with some weight on the left foot. It is intermittent to extent, since there are times when it doesn't happen, but has been happening a lot since it first happened Thursday night.

There is no usually tingling if my leg is at rest, although it did happen one time after walking and then sitting. The tingling mainly only happens in
response to either movement (especially after standing with some weight on
my left foot and then lifting it), or in response to tapping (such as lightly kicking my heel to the ground) When it was happening today, I noticed that tapping my left heel (either by kicking it to the ground, or be tapping it with my hand when
barefoot can cause the tingling. Also flexing my knee and lightly kicking
my toe to the ground, when wearing sneakers, can cause the tingling to
happen). Tapping on certain points on the shin (especially the lower part
near the foot, on the right side) with my fingers can cause the tingling to
some extent, although it is even more subtle.

Note: Although I sit down a lot throughout my day (since I work on the
computer), this isn't something that has been happening only after I've been
sitting down for a while. Sometimes it doesn't happen immediately after I
get up after sitting down and then it starts happening several minutes
later. Sometimes it doesn't happen if standing or walking for a while too.
If I walk for a while I usually don't notice it. It is more noticeable if
standing and then moving the left leg.

Anyway, I don't know what to make of this. Can't think of anything I might
have done to trigger this and never experienced anything like this before
(except maybe when a leg falls asleep..but, when that happens that goes away
after a few minutes of walking around).

No other symptoms so far other than the tingling. So far it hasn't affected coordination of the leg, or sensitivity to touch, there is not any numbness, etc. Any ideas as to what could be the cause?

I plan on having it checked out if it doesn't go away after a 2 or 3 weeks, or if it gets worse. Problem is that my insurance only pays $500 per year for outpatient diagnostic tests, and it is used up. Wondering what types of tests would be done to accurately diagnose this and what those tests typically cost?

Thanks,

J.
 John Kenyon, CNA - Fri Dec 19, 2008 10:49 pm

User avatar Hi there -

From what you describe and the inclusion of a lot of helpful ancillary information (about your work, etc.) this definitely sounds like a nerve being irritated by faulty posture or other mild misalignment of the lower spine. It may be that it seats itself while you're seated, but then something shifts very subtly when you get up and put weight on the leg. At any rate, it may resolve on its own, but if it doesn't there are both in-person tests and also, if necessary, nerve conduction tests which can help determine where the compression is taking place.

This sounds pretty benign, but it may be wise to have it checked now, since you could develop a more severe low back problem later on. If you can avoid that, all the better.

Hope this is helpful to you. Good luck. Please follow up with us as needed.

|