Question: Crawling feeling in the arms, spine, and legs.

acrow - Tue Sep 02, 2008 8:49 pm

I am 21 years old. I am having trouble sleeping due to an intense crawling feeling in my legs. This feeling causes my to HAVE to move my legs. It seems to be pretty involuntary. Sometimes I move them myself to relieve the feeling, but a lot of the time they will jerk on their own. This is annoying and frustrating to say the least. I have had this problem for as long as a can remember but lately its been worse than ever. And in the past few weeks this crawling feeling has spread to my arms and down my spine. And now it isn't only when I'm trying to sleep. When I wake up in the morning my arms are numb from the shoulder down, and when they finally regain feeling my motions are jerky and my hands shake for most of the day. Lately I have felt sick. Like I have the flu, but without the fever. I'm tired all the time but cannot sleep. I'm not sure if this stuff is related. Do you have any ideas?
 John Kenyon, CNA - Fri Dec 19, 2008 10:44 pm

User avatar Hi -

The first part you describe sounds just like restless leg syndrome (RLS). The problem with the arms is something else, however, and warrants a neurological workup to rule out any more serious underlying problems. If it is RLS and the arms are being affected by a faulty sleeping position, RLS can now be treated. The other, the problem with the arms, could be part of a larger central nervous system problem, however, and you really should be seen for this to rule out anything central.
There are too many possibiities to try and take a shot in the dark guess here, but it definitely sounds as though this needs to be looked into.

I hope this is helpful and that you will follow up with us. Best of luck to you.

|