Forum Name: Headaches

Question: Dizzy and lightheaded feelings

MsKarla - Thu Sep 04, 2008 12:09 am

Okay to give some history, since maybe 2004 I've been having headaches with blurred visioned. My eye doctor said it was from straining my eyes. But since November of 2007 I have been having dizzy spels not to where the room is spinning but my head feels like it, I guess its called feeling light-headed. It happpens when I yawn and lean back and come forward I feel dizzy. I notice anytime I lean back and come forward I get really dizzy and I have constant headaches. The dizziness started when I found I was pregnant, I also found I had hyper-thyriods which I had with my first pregnancy but went away after birth. Unfortunately this baby didn't make it because I was too sick. But I still have those dizzy spells, I don't know if I still have hyper-thyriods. Could that be a factor? My blood pressure is normal everytime I check it. I had joined the gym recently while I was doing a work out with the PT he had be jumping up and down I immediately became really dizzy and felt sick to my stomach.. I stopped working out.

MsKarla
 John Kenyon, CNA - Fri Dec 19, 2008 10:18 pm

User avatar Hi there -

Although your description of the dizziness doesn't sound exactly like benign positional vertigo (BPV), the way it's triggered does seem most likely to be just that. While the problem could also be related to your eyes (the eyes and ears work together to maintain a sense of balance), and the headaches and blurred vision certainly could have been due to eyestrain, this could also relate to the dizzy spells. You specifically describe moving your head backward and forward as one trigger, and that you've also had an episode triggered by jumping up and down. This latter could have been related to exertion or to the sudden and repetitive change in position (vertigo can be felt vertically as well as horizontally). Your doctor might have done (or could do) a very simple test in his office: having you follow his finger with your eyes, and seeing if, when they moved to one side or the other, they seemed to bounce. This is called nystagmus and is a cardinal sign of vertigo, a very easy way to determine if that's what's happening.

If you're having vertigo frequently (or any other sort of dizziness) you need to find a way to control it. Vertigo is usually responsive to a simple over-the-counter drug, meclizine (brand name Dramamine Non-drowsy Formula). Antivert is a prescription version of the same medication. Trying this is another way to pretty much rule in BPV, if the symptoms respond to this drug.

Your doctor should also have done a few cardiological tests, especially an EKG, just to be certain the dizziness isn't due to an arrhythmia (heartbeat irregularity). It's probably not since you don't mention having palpitations, but it's good to know. You probably need to have a neurological consult to determine why these episodes keep happening. I strongly suspect it is a simple problem (BPV), but the only way to know for sure is face-to-face. There are some tests a neurologist might order, as well, if the visual exam doesn't show up the diagnosis.

I hope this is helpful to you. Best of luck. I hope you're feeling better really soon.

|