Forum Name: Headaches

Question: Looking for advice about constant pain on back of head

shred123 - Fri Sep 05, 2008 3:46 am

Hello, I am a 24 year old male, For the past two weeks I've been having mild pain/pressure on the back of my head, similar to having a hand pressed up against it , there will also be an occasional pinching feeling. I saw a doctor a week ago, who felt my neck, check my eyes, asked if I've been nauseous or vomited, checked my balance and coordination, all of which were normal. I was prescribed ibuprofen which does not seem to help. I also have had blood tests for my GP at the time in January of this year, which came up normal, and I had an MRI for unrelated reasons in march 2007 which was also normal.

I worry about this constantly, and I guess with the information I provided my question would be; should I return to the doctor and request to see a neurologist? Or does this sound like it could be stress or anxiety related and I am just worrying too much.

Thank you
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Tue Dec 09, 2008 4:07 am

This is a frequent question on this board, so I will just give you the list of causes.

Recurring occipital headache can occur due to
* Occipital root headache due to compression of occipital nerve root by conditions in neck vertebrae (spinal column). May be unilateral. Tingling sensation over skin of neck. Tender on one side of neck C2-3 facet joint. X-ray.
* Occipital neuralgia: greater occipital nerve is injured/inflamed as it leaves back of neck.
* Pain may be referred to the neck.
* On the other hand pain at the back of the head may also result from muscle spasm (tension type headache).
* Subarachnoid hemorrhage may be worse in the occipital region.

The most common cause of headache that doesn't go away (ie, chronic) is tension type headaches. What was the reason you had an MRI and why do you think it's unrelated?

Please keep us updated.

|