Question: idiopathic pete mal seizures to grand mal?

goodtimes0216 - Sat Sep 06, 2008 5:12 pm

I'm 33 years old and have been diagnosed with tle. My seizures were always small. I would strare off into space, and so on. I think my seizures have changed and I am very scared. I cant get in with my nero for two months. when I am sleeping I wake up- kind of. It's hard to explain. I know im in bed sleeping, but I cant move, I cant breath and I keep trying to open my eyes and cant. I have had these sitting down when I am awake too. My friend told me my eyes rolled behind my head I was gasping for air, in and out of it, and was tremoring. It feels like forever but my friend told me it only lasted about a minute if that. I had one during a neck x ray, I felt it coming on, but was already in it, I couldnt move or talk to get the techs attention, the next thing I know is I was on a bed. Its been happening 2 to 3 times a week and I'm scared because I cant breath. Does anyone know if these are seizures and if its normal to go from pete mal to this type?
 John Kenyon, CNA - Thu Dec 18, 2008 10:57 pm

User avatar Hi there -

What you're describing sound like focal or partial seizures, which are very similar to (and often confused with) the sleep paralysis phenomenon. The difference is that focal/partial seizures can (and usually do) take place while one is definitely awake and up and around.

As to your question about progressing from petit mal to focal/partial seizures, yes, this is "normal." That is, it is not uncommon. Usually either the patient with TLE will either have the petit mal seizures just go away or will progress to partial/focal seizures. It may not be truly "normal" but it is a recognized possible progression of the problem, and is usually very manageable.

I would strongly suggest you make an ASAP appointment with your neurologist, so that medical management of the problem can be intiated. This is important because the more complex type of seizure you seem to be having now can be very disruptive of your life, and even dangerous in terms of driving or other activities where you just can't afford to be effectively paralyzed (you could get hurt).

I hope this is helpful and that you'll follow up with us here. Good luck to you.

|