Question: Arm and face spasms

IdahoDad - Sun Sep 07, 2008 12:11 am

My daughter is 10 years old and about a year ago developed a "tic" where she'll have uncontrolled arm and face spasms. When this happens her arms will suddenly go strait - either down, to the side, or in front of her - and her mouth will open as if making an overexaggerated attempt at popping her ears. She doesn't recognize this is happening and it usually occurs when she's either excited or in deep thought. When these became very noticable, she also developed terrible migraines which caused her to throw up. Another odd symptom is that her pupils remain dialated even when in the light. Additionally, flashing lights make her nausious and weak feeling.

I took her to a neurologist about a year ago and he dismissed most of these symptoms at the first visit and only checked reflexes and gaves her a perscription for the migraines. Should I be more concerned? I just don't feel like he checked very thoroughly for the causes of these twitches and worry because they have continued this long.

Any advice is appreciated!
 John Kenyon, CNA - Thu Dec 18, 2008 10:49 pm

Tics are not uncommon, especially in children, but you've mentioned some other signs and symptoms which definitely warrant a more in-depth evaluation by a caring neurologist, since it sounds as though there may be something more than simple pyschogenic tics going on, and it could likely be managed medically or even more simply; first, however, it needs to be diagnosed, and that isn't going to happen via something less than even a face-to-face in-office neurological survey.

I hesitate to speculate as to the cause, as there are many possibilities, but they should be ruled out/in, and whatever is ruled in should be treated, managed or corrected so your daughter (and you) can relax more.

I hope this is helpful. Best of luck to you. Please follow up with us as needed.

|