Question: Head twitches after smoking weed

metall-ranger - Sun Sep 07, 2008 1:04 am

I started smoking weed about 2 years ago, but only within the last year inoticed that my whole body would twitch or shake. I have familial tremors, but when I decided to quit doing this drug, my head mainly wouldn't stop twitching... It has been almost 5 months now and I still keep doing it. I know tend to live alone since I can't deal with peoples reaction to my twitching. How or what can I do to make it stop? Since I am diagnosed with familial tremors, does this affect the twitching also?

Some other facts - after I quit I noticed my neck and back bones need to be cracked regulary, such as 1nce every15 - 45 mins. depending on the situation.. If I'm around people I get nervous this making my twitching come out more.
Also, occasionall, I can hear my heart pounding throughout my body, I feel my head twitches at the pace of my heart.
I went to see a doctor and he gave stress and tremor pills(these pills were used to reduce my blood pressure) but they didn't seem to work.
Thanx for your help in advance
 John Kenyon, CNA - Thu Dec 18, 2008 10:44 pm

The THC in marijuana has been known to affect the central nervous system (CNS) in various, sometimes unexpected ways. Since you already have a family history of familial tremor, this may have been just a bad combination. The issue that remains is whether or not the tic you've developed will resolve on its own. If it's being caused by THC stored in your body's fat cells, it will probably resolve on its own. If it's a new variation on the familial tremor problem, it may require medication to manage it. Also, since you appear to be an anxious person (based on your close monitoring of somatic signs such as your heartbeat, etc.), this could be a nervous tic rather than a strictly physiological one. These, too, may be managed (and sometimes resolved) by use of proper medication.

Since there is a familial neurological problem already, marijuana use probably isn't a good idea for you. If this new symptom hadn't developed I wouldn't be saying that.

Five months may seem like a long time for THC to remain in your body, and it is. However, much of the storage would depend upon how much/how often you smoked. At this point you probably should arrange for a consult with a neurologist to see if there is anything the doctor you saw might have missed (I assume this was a general practitioner and a specialist would be more tuned in to the neurological issues you may be carrying around).

I hope this is helpful to you. Please follow up with us as needed and update us when and if you do see a neurologist. Best of luck to you.

|