Forum Name: Headaches

Question: Headache, Dizziness, Blurred Vision and Tinnitus

dammazza - Mon Sep 08, 2008 2:22 pm

I need help. I have had headaches and dizziness for a little over three years. It was off and on at first but is now been constant. I have been to a Neurologist and have had three MRI's performed. All are normal. I have gone to an ENT and have been worked up. I had a tilt test and other tests that also came back normal. I have had blood work done for, thyroid panel, lyme titer, blood sugar and all of the rest of the tests done. All normal. I do have slightly elevated blood pressure. My Doctor says this is from gaining weight after I quit smoking. That was three years ago that I quit smoking. I have also been to the eye doctor and the tests came back normal. I do sometimes have bouts of Uveitis. I have even been to an allergist and that was normal. It is becoming harder to function on a daily basis. My wife is becoming frustrated with me and my constant frustrations. It is starting to pull our marriage apart. I am lost. Please help!!
 John Kenyon, CNA - Tue Sep 16, 2008 11:09 pm

It does sound as though you have some vertigo and possibly something else involving the inner ear going on. With all the workups turning out negative it doesn't leave much to guess at, but have you been seen by an otolaryngologist?
It sounds as though you could have Menier's disease, and there are clinical tests specific to this (especially an electronystagmogram, which helps at least confirm a problem with the equilibrium system involving the eyes and ears). If you haven't had this test performed, I would specifically ask for it. An otolaryngologist, neurologist, or ENT specialist could order the test and the results might -- hopefully -- reveal something all the other tests have not.

This is my best guess at this point. This sort of problem can be infuriatingly hard to pin down sometimes, so hopefully you're being treated symptomatically for the dizziness/vertigo.

Best of luck to you. Please follow up with and let us know if you learn anything new.
 dammazza - Wed Sep 17, 2008 11:04 am

Thanks for you reply. I have been to an Otolaryngologist and have had electronystagmogram testing performed. I was told it was normal. I was initially told by the Otolaryngologist that I did indeed have Menier's disease. I saw a different doctor in the same practice who told me that I did not have Menier's disease because I have constant dizziness. Menier's disease comes by way of attacks and is not constant. I have no relief from my dizziness. I wake up dizzy and I am dizzy all day. Someone in another post mention a problem with sinnitus that mimicked my symptoms. I do have a history of drug abuse (cocaine). Sinnitus also runs in my family history. From what I have read, there are different theories about sinnitus causing dizziness. Most say it does not or cannot cause dizziness. I am really trying hard to find an answer to my dizziness problem. It is really causing me problems and also putting a strain on my marriage from the inability to perform my functions as a husband and father. Once again, thanks for your reply.
 John Kenyon, CNA - Thu Sep 18, 2008 11:00 am

You're very welcome and I only wish I were able to offer more in the way of ideas. I'm convinced there is something going on, very likely in the inner ear, which is causing this, but when the tests all come back negative it really makes it difficult to pin the thing down.

I'm not sure whether you meant sinusitis or tinnitis (you used the word "sinnitus"), but am going to assume, for our purposes you meant tinnitus, although sinus problems certainly could be playing a role in this as well. However, tinnitus and vertigo are seen together in Menier's disease. While your doctor is correct in saying that Menier's is partly defined by its episodic nature, there's no rule that the same root cause couldn't bring about a more or less constant state of the same quality of symptoms such as you're having. The root cause is, I believe, still somewhere near the base of a diagnosis for Menier's disease. I can't prove it, of course, but it seems almost to be a given.

Please keep us updated if anything changes and I do hope this problem will either be solved or will resolve spontaneously on its own. Best of luck to you.
 dammazza - Thu Sep 18, 2008 11:53 am

Thank you again for your reply. I spelled sinusitis the wrong way. Sorry about that. I am refering to the sinuses. I was a cocaine user for years. Fortunately I have been clean for over five years. This is the reason I bring up sinus issues. My Mother and Sister both have been on maintanence drugs for sinus problems. My Mother told me she has some episodes of dizziness but nothing like what I am going through.
 John Kenyon, CNA - Thu Sep 18, 2008 3:48 pm

User avatar Deep sinus problems, including thickening of the lining (which can be caused by chronic irritation from cocaine use, among other things) certainly could be causing your problem. The only hurdle remaining seems to be to get someone to look beyond the obvious, since the problem could be pretty obscure. It's not a guaranteed diagnosis, but it seems entirely probable. Hopefully you can find an ENT who is willing to probe beyond the superficial test results and really take an interest in helping you find a solution to this.

Again, best of luck to you, and congratulations on having broken what can be a pretty dangerous habit (for a lot of reasons). Hang in there.
 jenilynn6 - Tue Nov 03, 2009 11:01 pm

I am really beginning to wonder if quitting smoking doesn't cause headaches and dizziness. i quit smoking about 2 weeks ago and since have been having dizzy spells and headaches at the base of my neck. I feel alot of pressure right in that area. I've also read other post from people who have suffered from headaches since they quit smoking.

|