Question: 2 month old with fused soft spot

mardock - Mon Sep 08, 2008 10:10 pm

My baby had her 2 month well check and the dr said he couldn't feel her soft spot. He recommended that I have her see a pediatric neurologist. So we had that appt today. The pediatric neurologist said that he believes it to be a normal variant. He said that her developmental signs are where they should be. He also said that her head circumference is completely average for her age. So he feels that her brain is growing fine, and he sees no signs that it is craniosynostosis. But everything I've read and heard tell me that 2 months is too early for the soft spot to fuse. Am I just worrying for naught? Or should I get a second opinion? The neurologist said that we should watch that her head measurement doesn't suddenly drop off the charts over the next couple of months, but that he feels it's simply a normal variant. I just don't want to waste time that could be used to fix a problem if there is one...
 Debbie Miller, RN - Mon Sep 15, 2008 12:57 pm

Sometimes early closure of a soft spot can lead to abnormal head shape as the brain continues to grow without the benefit of the bones moving and changing with it normally. The fact that the doctor feels this is OK would give me reassurance here but continuing to monitor head size and shape along with other development is crucial so follow up with the pediatrician as recommended and watch for anything unusual you notice as a mom. Sometimes surgery is necessary to maintain the proper shape of the head and it is very successful but of course this is only done when it is really needed so I'm sure the advice now is "watchful waiting." Hopefully the problem will resolve on its own.

mardock - Mon Sep 22, 2008 8:13 am

Thank you so much for replying. I feel confident in watchful waiting as you and the pediatric neurologist who saw her suggest. Time will tell. In the meantime she seems to be doing great! Thanks again.

|