Forum Name: Headaches

Question: Cluster Headaches

texan4life - Tue Sep 09, 2008 8:13 am

I have had the worst headaches the past couple of days they seem to happen in a pattern after I get to sleep and within a few hours of waking up they a short term lasting only about twenty minutes they are very painful and almost instantaneous the pain starts at the base of the skull and shoots in the back of both eyes it is difficult to move or do anything while they are happening are they cluster headaches or something else.
 John Kenyon, CNA - Sun Sep 14, 2008 8:18 pm

While much of the symptomology you describe does sound a lot like cluster headaches, cluster headaches almost always occur on one side of the head. Yours, from the description, seem to be bilateral, which would suggest some other type of problem, especially since cluster headaches also usually present with some histamine-related symptoms such as runny or stuffy nose and watering of the eyes among other things.

Headaches are one of the most difficult problems to diagnose (with certain special types excepted), and it is all the more difficult to make a guess long-distance. You might possibly be experiencing some sort of seizure activity (based mostly on the timing of these headaches) but that is really just a shot in the dark. You need a referral to a neurologist, most likely, to find out what is causing this. It could be a variant type of cluster headache, it could be a lot of things, but I wouldn't want to put up with that sort of pain and sleep disturbance for very long, and it would be wise to get to the bottom of what's causing it sooner than later.

I hope this is helpful. Please follow up with us as needed.

|