Forum Name: Headaches

Question: chronic night time bruxism and daily headaches

bruxer06 - Wed Sep 10, 2008 8:22 am

Hi I am new to this forum. I am asking anyone for help as a last resort. I have been chronically clenching and grinding my teeth for 10 yrs, i am 29 yr old female with no other medical condition. I feel now i am at my wits end and am starting to become really really depressed about my situation. My teeth clenching/grinding is always at night and it is chronic. I have seen various dental professors who have fitted me with upper, lower, soft, hard slpints, i have had the height of the splints adjusted many many times. I have been on diazepam, prothiaden, propanolol, amitriptyline, herbal products etc etc. I have tried massage, hypnotherapy, exercise etc etc. I also have an NTI-tss which cost a lot of money and i have twice had botox injections into my masseter muscle. So, to the point, i have had chronic daily headaches for about 10 years now, i wake up with a headache every day, it lasts all day, i go to sleep and the cycle continues. Once or twice a month the headache is very bad and i will vomit and be confined to be for three days at a time. I have seen a neurologist and i do not have anything 'serious', he is convinced that all my symptoms are from the night time clenching. The problem is now i feel like i can't go on living my life like this. I am totally miserable every single day from the pain in my head, jaw, ears, neck and shoulders. No one seems to be able to help me and i am desperate for ANY information or ANYTHING i can try as i feel i have now exhausted all other possibilities

many many thanks in advance

regards
 John Kenyon, CNA - Sat Sep 13, 2008 8:21 pm

First, let me just say that I sympathize with your frustration as well as your daily pain. It must be exhausting. While it has long been believed that bruxism is caused by misalignment of the jaw, and I suppose this is possible, the more common causes are believed to be psychological and include stress, anxiety, competitiveness, difficult work or relationship situations and suppressed anger. This being the case more often than not, is it possible any of those conditions are obtaining in your life now and over the past decade that this has been happening to you? If so, evaluation by a psychotherapist specializing in biofeedback and/or cognitive behavoral therapy techniques might just be the solution to the problem, especially since all the mechanical interventions have failed to make a difference. The condition is now producing stresses of its own which need to be dealt with anyway, so it would be an ideal time to look into the possible psychological causes as well as how to deal with the immediate stress of the disorder.

Since orodental mechanical approaches have failed to make any difference and since your patience is, understandably, running thin, I would strongly recommend looking into this possible cause. I think you might be really surprised at how much difference it could make. Please at least consider it.

I hope this is helpful. Please hang in there, and do stay in touch with us here.

|