News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Neurology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Neurology Answers List

Forum Name: Neurology Topics

Question: Difficulty with Cognitive Function

klee7 - Fri Sep 12, 2008 4:55 pm

I am 19 years old and in good health. Last February I fell while ice skating and got a cut along my right eyebrow. I felt ok and did not go to the doctor or hospital. Throughout that semester I had occasional headaches but nothing terrible. This summer I felt fine. Now I have returned to school and am having difficulty concentrating and understanding my reading. I also seem to be having some trouble with calling words up quickly to participate in discussions.

I am staring to be concerned that I have suffered a brain injury. Where should I begin to seek assistance. I do not know if I can just make an appointment with a neurologist in town or if I should go through the Counseling and learning center at my school. I got good grades last semester (2A's and 2B's) but am concerned about this situation.

I would appreciate any suggestion for how I should proceed.
 John Kenyon, CNA - Tue Nov 04, 2008 8:37 pm

User avatar Hello -

While it has been an awfully long time between your head injury and the appearance of these symptoms, some neurological problem related to the head trauma is not out of the question, and should be ruled out (the most likely thing, I think, would be a very small, slow bleed, although nine months is an awfully long time -- still, not impossible).

I think it might well be in your best interest to try and go through the counseling and learning center at school first, and if that doesn't pan out well, you can certainly always make an appointment with a neurologist of your choosing. Hopefully you'll get a better referral through the school's offices, plus you'll be on record as having registered your problem with them in the event this does, in fact, wind up affecting your work at school.

I hope this is helpful. Please follow up with us and let us know how things go.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here